TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well its starting to get cold down here in Georgia. For some reason the cold isnt allowing my transmission to shift properly. I also noticed that the engine temp. isnt rising like it should. I figured the thermostat was sticking but im not too sure that the engine temp. would effect the way the transmission shifts....? Any body had any problems like this...Any help would be appreciated.

91 pickup
22r
automatic trans.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well i put a new t-stat in the truck yesterday and seems to do a little better.( the old stat was stuck open) Well now the engine doesnt seem to heat up to normal operating temperature. The heat works but the temp. gauge reads just above cold. any idea what might cause this.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
when it was cold last year, i had a hell of a time shifting into first and reverse. i bled the clutch and flushed the tranny and shifted better than it ever had.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The truck runs better...it still takes it longer than normal to shift from 4th to overdrive but i just told my dad to warm the truck up longer before taking off in the mornings. Now the gauge on the other hand moves slightly from its resting cold position to right above the cold mark could this be caused by poor coolant flow. I will probably end up flushign the radiator this weekend anyways..Prob. just a faulty gauge is what i think.

·
Registered
871 Posts
4th to OD?

You will have to wait a long time before it shifts from 4th to overdrive, since that trans only has 4 gears! lol. Anyway, low coolant flow is going to cause the engine to overheat, not underheat, (is underheat a word?), Make sure the fan clutch isn't seized, but I would think it might just be the gauge, you can install a cheap aftermarket one, or use an infared temp sensor on the rad. hoses, the top one should be pretty damn hot, ~200 degrees.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts