TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jeff White just called from Rockport (north of Corpus by Posrt Aransas)- he was helping someone who was stuck in a marshy area last night and is stuck himself.

He said at one point there were 9 trucks stuck and a front-end loader, so it sounds pretty serious.

If anyone is willing/able to help or knows someone who is, please call Jeff on his cell at 832-221-6277.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
no one with a winch out there ?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I am willing to help, but I am pretty much stock and A/T tires. If a front end loader can't get it done I don't think I will be very much help.

Ben

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
this is probable a good exampe of when that shovel anker thing would be helpful with the winch.

·
Registered
532 Posts
this sucks he is so far away from most of us. i tried to find him some help down there but no luck. good luck to him, and tell him to snap some pics!:D sounds like a good canidate for stuck of the month.

·
[duma]
1,123 Posts
I just talked to Jeff, he said they are pulling the last three trucks out and will be ok. He said he'll give me a call if it gets bad again.

·
Deal Master
2,773 Posts
TomTRD said:
I just talked to Jeff, he said they are pulling the last three trucks out and will be ok. He said he'll give me a call if it gets bad again.
Hope he's alright
sounds like the Briscoe adventure

·
Row Row Row your Boat
1,632 Posts
hey guys, I just got home, THANK GOD,

my truck was sitting in that place for 24 hrs.
I only have one pic from my camera phone which I will try to load tonight.
well, dinner is ready, so I will tell the whole story later.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
I just found this!

Scary shit! Sure glad you got out.

We gotta see this pic! Hell I'm nominating you for stuck of the month right now!

·
Row Row Row your Boat
1,632 Posts

When I started, the truck was burried up to the sliders, this pic is after the first yank of the big bronco you will read about below
doesn't show it looking that bad, I only got the one pic and this was after many hours of pulling and shoveling and winching and what not.

here is the full story as best I can remember: Its kinda long but there is about 24hrs condensed below.
Disclaimer: there was no stolen or borrowed tractors or any other equiptment. nothing was used without it's owners consent and the land was public land.

ok, starts about 3pm tuesday, I get called to go to the dock (from the rig) to pick up a mud logger. ( just go with it, don't ask me to explain what a mud logger does)
I get to the dock and am asked to go pull him out of the mud. I say I will look at it and see if I think I can do it with out getting myself in trouble.
well I get out to him, and pull on him for a while and not realy move him. So I say I can't do it, and leave. On the way back to the road I get stuck, not to far from him.

next I go back to the rig and get another guy that has a 3/4 ton dodge diesel, and a jeep too.
get out there and the dodge gets stuck. so the dodge owner go to town with some of the other guys from the rig and find some highschool age guys that have some big trucks. they come out to check it out.

At this time, I know it is going to be expensive to get out of here so I go to town and hit the ATM for a few hundred dollars of bribe money....

so I get back and now the two guys that came out ( an H2 and a 3/4 ton deisel ford) are stuck. they call their frineds and more trucks show up and are almost instantly stuck. Next a front end loader comes out and it gets one of the stuck trucks out then it gets stuck.
before long, there are 8 trucks and a front end loader stuck. AND THEN someone finds a guy with a 1 ton ford deisel with a warn 12000# winch
then the fun starts. every body gets out one at a time and now we are back to the original 3. Me, the 3/4 dodge and the instigator who by the way has a 2wd pathfinder.

so they start working on the the 3/4 dodge and get it to move about 2 ft. and between winching and digging with shovels they get it almost free, and the winch starts smoking. soooooo we are now done for the night. by the way, it is now 2am.
everybody that came out to help us is unstuck and on thier way home.

so I make a few phone calls to Houston. Called my dad, and called Raymond (aka broken wrench) they aggreed to drive down to Rockport in the morning. so I try to get some rest.

fast forward

6:30 am, Dad calls and Raymond calls to let me know they are on the road.

10 am
dad and Raymond show up and we get to work, got shovels and straps and warn 8kwinch on my former tacoma.
after several hours no luck, the ground is no wating to give my truck back.
so then this old guy comes out with a bronco and winch (I think it was a ramsey 6k) and Raymond and my dad go back to the road to get some more tools and a small jack out of my dads truck.
on the way back to my truck they get teh tacoma buried. and the old guy trys to pull the taco out but not enough traction and not enough winch power.

so he decides that he is going to try to get me out and then together we can get the taco out andf we can go home.

bronco gets stuck......so old guy walks back to his house and gets his tractor. meanwhile, another guy comes out in a 3/4 ford with a V10, he comes out and says well I don't think I can get to the tundra but I can probably get to the taco and get him free. he gets stuck.

old guy comes back with tractor, it is a club cadet with a front bucket, it gets stuck.

Then, another guy come out in a bronco, just bought it for $200 he says and it has 39.5 x 14.5 boggers, he gets the taco out with ease, then goes the get the other bronco out and gets stuck, then with the taco with get the older bronco loose and together with both winches they pull the other bronco out. then the big bronco gets lined up on my truck and yanks me backwards and gets me 3/4 of the way out and breacks a U joint on the rear driveshaft. so he, usung front wheel drive gets out of there and leaves.
now that I am mostly out, we use the taco to winch me the rest of the way and now I am free, I take off in a hurry toward the hwy, and make it to within 100ft before I am stuck again. not worried, I walk back to help get the club cadet tractor out and then go back to get mine out.

in the process, my power steering pump must have blown an internal seal or something cause I have no ps.
I am getting a pump tomorrow and hope that fixes the problem...

Also, incase you were keeping track, we left the original vehicle behind for that guy to fend for himself.

and the 3/4 dodge that came to help me, got another guy to pull him out. they used a 3/4 dodge chipped and about 500ft of 4" hawse ship rope. (lots and lots of strech ) and slingshotted him out of that mess.

so if my math is right, there was 15 trucks, a club cadet tractor and a front end loader, that were all stuck and rescued.

total money out of my pocket, $400 including the ps pump, the dodge guy paid 500 to get the yank/sling shot from those other guys.

lessen learned, Never agree to help someone you don't know get out of a mess they should have never been into inthe first place unless you have the right equipment and the standby cash to throw down for other help and or repairs to your vehicles. Oh and never trust 4x4 alone to get you out af a bad situation, 4x4 only gets you farther from help before you are stuck.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
14 Participants
Captain J
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing