TTORA Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got offered a 92 Ext Cab 4X4 with a blown engine for $1500. I've been told that a mechanic said it threw a rod but I haven't looked at it myself. I'm not sure I want to do it yet and not sure of the costs to get back on the road. What are the best options for reliability and cost? Is this truck even a good purchase everything else being equal?

Chris

·
Registered
74 Posts
I know someone with the same truck, same engine, and condition. Even if the thrown rod hadn't ruined the bore beyond machining possibilities, mechanics quoted him $2500-$3000 for a rebuild, including engine removal and installation. I think you can get a rebuilt LONG block for that, if not a little less. A long block from toyota is around $6000 I believe. Or you could swap in a 3.4, chevy 4.3, v8, etc.?

·
Registered
170 Posts
A friend of mine around here sunk his 92 in some mud that messed up the motor real bad. He did a 3.4 swap because he wanted to keep toyota. He said it was an easy swap and that way he could still have toyota work on the truck.

Just a simple thaught.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am still trying to decide if this truck is a good purchase... In this area I couldn't get one in like condition for less than 5k so if all said and done I was under 5k I suppose I would be doing well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts