TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I have a 93 toy 4x4 3.0 V6 EX cab... And I just had the head gaskets done. While the guy was in there I had him put on a new timing belt new water pump and a new thermostat, He put the truck all back together and had the dizzy marked and put it back in where it was. My question is was he supposed to check the timing? I would think he would after replacing the belt. Anyone know where I can find out what I have to do to check it. I was told I have to short out some of the ports in the diagnostic plug? Thanks Steve

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
You can check it but I think that engine is computer contolled and does not have a distributor. If he got the pulleys lined up correctly and not one tooth off or something it should be golden. You can verify that it is correct with a timing light if you have a timing mark on the flywheel and know which is plug #1.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Dick Foster said:
You can check it but I think that engine is computer contolled and does not have a distributor. If he got the pulleys lined up correctly and not one tooth off or something it should be golden. You can verify that it is correct with a timing light if you have a timing mark on the flywheel and know which is plug #1.
see also my post in the other thread about the harmonic balancer rotating on the assembly causing false readings when checking your timing

·
Registered
288 Posts
Dick Foster said:
its a 93 ! not an 03! it has a dist and timing marks on the crank pulley....

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Dick Foster said:
OMG - anyone wants a chance to flame Dick Foster - here's your chance!

What's the matter Dick, senility finally kicking in? Your brain collapse into the immense gravity created by your huge gut? This is a (admittedly very dirty) '93 3.0 - and what's that in the lower right corner with all the wires coming out? IT'S A DISTRIBUTOR!!!

Timing should be 10*BTDC, but you can pretty safely go to 12*BTDC.
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/ignition/13distribu.pdf

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
That's no problem. I said I wasn't sure. I've never paid much attention to the 3.0 nor have I ever expressed any other than it has a bad rap.
Yes that is a distributor so he should check the timing. Plus if it were me and if the guy who did the work didn't check it, I'd be asking for a partial refund for the job. I think it's fair to pay half assed for half assed work.

·
Registered
44 Posts
when the guy put the new timing belt on he could had messed up and let one of the cams rotate and set the motor out time the crank might read the timmingis right but the cams wont be. to check this bring the truck to top dead center and take the timing cover off. look at the cam gears there should be a marke on the and a mark on the meat housing behind them if they don't line up they are out of time. :welder:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts