TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I'm going to go take a look at a 94 Toyota truck tomorrow. Its a single cab 4x4 with the 3VSE 6 and a standard transmission with almost 142k miles on it. The fella said that everything is straight and rust free and he's been using it as a daily driver to work and back. Seems to be in pretty good shape for the age and price. Anything I should look out for while I'm looking it over? I'm aware of the cooling and head gasket issues that sometimes occur with these. Anything else particular to this truck?
Thanks!

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,420 Posts
Wouldn't be a deal breaker, but check the rear leaf springs. They commonly de-arch and will form a wavy S shape when totally worn out. Easy and inexpensive to replace, just something to look for on those older trucks especially if they hauled loads regularly. Outside of that, the engine is really the #1 thing to check. Definitely due a compression check to see if all cylinders are within spec.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wouldn't be a deal breaker, but check the rear leaf springs. They commonly de-arch and will form a wavy S shape when totally worn out. Easy and inexpensive to replace, just something to look for on those older trucks especially if they hauled loads regularly. Outside of that, the engine is really the #1 thing to check. Definitely due a compression check to see if all cylinders are within spec.
Noted. I sure appreciate it. Don't know if I'll be able to do the compression check tomorrow because we're meeting half way in a parking lot somewhere. If it's something I'm gonna end up going home with, I certainly will. Looks like I'll be able to get it for $4,500. Does that seem reasonable? Exterior is in good shape. The interior has some wear and tear but nothing horrible.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,420 Posts
Sounds like a reasonable price for what it is. Hard to say for sure without pictures. If you are going to buy without the benefit of a mechanical inspection, then be as thorough as possible during your inspection and during the test drive to make sure you are happy with the condition. Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like a reasonable price for what it is. Hard to say for sure without pictures. If you are going to buy without the benefit of a mechanical inspection, then be as thorough as possible during your inspection and during the test drive to make sure you are happy with the condition. Good luck.
Thank you and I sure will. I'm going to get some pics of it this evening and post them here. Thanks again!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bought it. Pretty excited about it. Everything looked good and it drove well. Thanks again!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks good. Already has locking hubs which is nice to have. Tires might be next on the list. :)
Thank you. Yes, they're about at the end of their life. Going to get an alignment, replace the shocks and turn the rotors first

1 - 8 of 8 Posts