TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In August I won a raffle during the So. Cal. Big Bear trip for the All Pro rear bumper. I already had a rear bumper but I've always like the AP rear bumper but never bought it because it did not have a built in hitch which I need and I didn't want to spend an additional $200+ to use their hitch.

With the new AP bumper that I won I decided I was going to build my own hitch by using TacoDell's design here.
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65578

I had to remove the fill plates to get better access for welding. I completely removed the top plates and cut out about 5 inches of the bottom plates. I'll reweld them back into place when I'm done.

I kept the main hitch support 3/4" from the top of the bumper and 3/4" away from the bumper using 3/4" wood.

I measured the hitch all the way around to make sure I was going to tack weld it nice and straight. Unfortunately no matter how many times you measure something it always has to get redone. In this case one side of the hitch was welded 1/4" to low. I had to grind and reweld it the correct height.

To add support and strength for towing and pulling I added these support tabs to the center of the bumper.

I'm thinking about adding a small gusset to the end of the main support for additional support. What do you guys think?

I was reading about gussets and it was suggested that you weld a gusset to the top of the metal instead of the middle to avoid possible bends and cracks in the welds.

Their suggestion

Website
http://weldingdesign.com/processes/news/wdf_10914/

Next I'm going to add the drop down hitch receiver support like Dell did in this picture.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After I'm done with the hitch I want to build off of the bumper and add a tire carrier. I'm still deciding if I want an outboard or flat carrier. I don't want it to be a gate.

Here's what I'm looking at.

Flat style. However, the flat style might interfere with access to the hitch. I would have the tire half in the truck and half out.

Outboard style

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
looking good... :)

you don't need gusset the ends of the 2X tho'
to strengthen those...
You might put a plate at each end... but not necessary.
Once everything is welded into place... I doubt the 2X would twist... evar.

the center section is what needs strengthening.
supporting the tube to the 2X is where you need gusseting the most

I noticed that you only did lateral gussets to that...
I would recommend putting in vertical gussets there.
Top and bottom... you can add to what you already have I suppose.

What plate thickness are you going to use
for the opening in the bumper for the receiver tube ?

are you going to make that flush to the outside...
or centered inside the tube work ?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I noticed that you only did lateral gussets to that...
I would recommend putting in vertical gussets there.
Top and bottom... you can add to what you already have I suppose.
I want to add more gussets but the top part of the 2x2 is close to the top of the bumper tube. Unless someone has another suggestion I think this might be the only option which is two more lateral gussets into the tube. My concern with this is the possibility of the lateral gussets penetrating into the tube over the years with possible twisting and torquing.

For vertical gussets on the bottom tube I made this cardboard template. Would this work or should I just leave the lateral gussets?

What plate thickness are you going to use
for the opening in the bumper for the receiver tube ?

are you going to make that flush to the outside...
or centered inside the tube work ?
I bought this receiver tube which would work just fine. It's going just below the bottom tube. Just have to remove the paint for welding.

All the plates that I'm using are 1/4" thick.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why not run the receiver behind the license plate?
Because the 2x2 would sit to high on the mounting brackets and I wouldn't have enough room to weld it properly. Right now the 2x2 is about a 1/2" from the top of the mounting brackets.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
You could still center that...
I know you want the receiver to be below the bumper...
tho' it's not how I would have done it, were it mine.
But we already discussed that and yer just hard headed :shiner: :p

no matter... we'll weld the shit outta it...
and it will out live you :D

you won't mind if my welder works properly...
and that I might lay better welds...
then the inception of muh 1st abortion ! ? :banghead: :dunno:

still... don't expect nickle welds... unless you buy me a tig :p

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You could still center that...
I know you want the receiver to be below the bumper...
tho' it's not how I would have done it, were it mine.
As of right now if the receiver tube goes through the license plate area it will hit the 2x2. I also need it a little lower to tow my trailer.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Did you do any more work to it? I am really considering modding my All Pro bumper for a tire/can carrier since the 37" spare takes up most of my bed space. When I move up to 40's after these 37's wear out I won't have any room at all.:(

I haven't seen swing arms with anything bigger than 35's on them though. I'm kind of concerned about beefing the All Pro up enough to hold a swing arm, 80 lbs of fuel and a 40" tire, and how much if any visibility I'll have with a tire that large back there, but I really don't know where else to put the damn thing. I still haul lots of stuff in my truck and need the bed space.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ya, I've been lazy the past 3 months. I plan on finishing the hitch by the end of this month then I'll start working on the tire carrier. I'm going to mock up the tire carrier first with pvc pipe first to see how I like it.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally got off my ass and with Samson's..I mean Dell's help I finished the hitch today. I hope no one rear ends me because this bumper isn't moving. Now I just need to figure out what kind of tire carrier I want to go with. Dell brought up a good point...the frame may not handle any type of tire carrier that is hanging off the back of the truck without boxing the frame. I just need to clean it up and paint it.

Dell, your expertise, knowledge, welding skills and your Fabio hairstyle helped get me through all of this. Thanks again, I really, really appreciate it.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Dell, your expertise, knowledge, welding skills and your Fabio hairstyle helped get me through all of this. Thanks again, I really, really appreciate it.
I'm not any of that... but thanks for believing in me :D

Samson/Fabio... Lol (yeah it's a mess) :eek:

glad that I could assist you...
You did a good job of prepping, tacking and making access to key weld areas.
That helped a lot... so thanks for making it easier
and for your participation :)

Be sure to post up after you finalize and paint it.

then go beat the hell outta it, so we will know if it will hold up !? :D

btw... if you get rear ended... hard enough
The bumper will be the least of yer worries.
it's more probable that your rear frame rails would get fubar'd :eek: :(

^ don't worry... could happen, no matter what rear bumper ;)

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Bumper looks good, I don't know that I would trust that hitch setup to pull anything though :eek:

Maybe I missed it, but did you gusset the receiver at all?

How mine has been done for 3 years now, no issues. It's hard to see, but, the gusset pieces actually angle from one edge to the other. (at corner, they're near the bottom of the receiver, at the back they're near the top) Really just did it to cover more surface area with weld, and spread the load more.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
Looks like its welded to the tube behind the bumper. And the gussets on either side. Is there any gussets going to the rear tube?

If it's gusseted to the rear tube, I would trust it and tow with it any day of the week.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Dell brought up a good point...the frame may not handle any type of tire carrier that is hanging off the back of the truck without boxing the frame.
Yeah my frame was boxed and plated during the Dana 60 swap. We threw some extra crossmembers in as well. I wouldn't really want to run a tire carrier bumper without that.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts

^ pictures prior to completion

tho' the vertical truss didn't get installed...
keep in mind that Johnnie isn't dragging 5000lbs
nor does his trailer have a 500lb tongue weight.

His rear bumper modifications are not that much different then mine.

don't make me post up muh video of me draggin' muh trailer thu Pinyon :p

the receiver hitch will hold up to what Johnnie has in mind for it...
and could probably hold up to much more.

tho' I'll let Johnnie test that theory :D

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
The bumper side of it looks good, though adding some gussets out on the end of the added tube may not be a horrible idea.

When I said 'hitch' I was referring to the drop hitch setup with 2 pins, no gusseting off the plate the ball is mounted to, etc.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
When I said 'hitch' I was referring to the drop hitch setup with 2 pins, no gusseting off the plate the ball is mounted to, etc.
oh... well I don't know squat about that piece.

except he's pulling a lightweight camp trailer
and the tongue weight is likely less then 100 lbs
so I'll doubt even that drop hitch contraption would be of concern.

----------------

just sayin'...

The receiver tube needed to be placed slightly rearward (John's choice)
because the trailer couldn't back into 90* without hitting his truck bed.
His drop hitch seems to push that out even farther.

looks like the trailer would clear the bedsides at a 90*

Have you tested that yet Johnnie ?

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Something that lightweight I guess would be OK. Mainly just a concern because I've seen what happens when a drop hitch is not properly gusseted, or built, and you have to get into the brakes hard.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts