TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I saw a post in the late taco tech section about tacoma cabin air filters and saw some pretty gross looking filters after just 10k...

A member made a comment about how he wished he had one on his early taco, and that inspired me to make my own :cool:.

After pulling the glove compartment and brace I noticed that the blower motor drops out pretty easily with three 8mm bolts, hince a pretty easy replacement spot.

materials needed : 8mm socket/rachet, pair of scissors, and a universal window unit "cut to fit" A/C filter

1. Drop fan blower motor via three 8mm bolts (circled in green) and unplug fan (circled in white).
2. Cut a 10" square filter
3. Trim filter as needed.
4. Stuff the filter up into the fan hole (above the metal lip *refer to red arrows) using your thumb and pointer finger to pull filter into place)
5. Re-install fan motor and your done!

There is a lip where the blower motor intakes air behind firewall.
After about a week of testing in mulitple conditions this spot finally works :D. This will help keep your Evap. coil from getting clogged as well as keep down the dust! I'll inspect after about 5k and let you know how it goes.

Total Cost : 6bucks

Total Time : approx. 15minutes

Refer to pictures below.

Circled in red is the damper that caused the trouble before. The yellow arrows refer to the original placement of filter. DO NOT put filter where yellow arrows show, because the recirc. damper will catch the filter and push it down into the fan.

below shows the finished product.

Enjoy!

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,206 Posts
Nice. How thick of a filter material are you using and where do you get it?

Maybe I can use some washable filter material for residential HVAC stuff

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,206 Posts
Actually figured it out, looks like there's plenty of space.

Cool find! Also allowed me to blew out everything with some compressed air :)

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
awesome!
any info on what filter material to get and where? HD? OSH? Smo's H-vac supply? :p

·
Registered
479 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Package says "NaturalAire" custom-fit washable and re-useable. Made by Flanders Precisionaire...from Lowe's (of course ;) ). It's the custom air filter that comes in a 20x30x1 with no wire...just all "stiff" filter. It's bright blue so you shouldn't miss it!

Lowe's Item #31081

Should be in the Plumbing section of lowes with all the furance/AC filters. Just give them the Item number.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,206 Posts
The only thing that I realized is that you can't go more than 3/8" thick on the side closest to the rear of the truck. The recirc damper comes down on that side.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,206 Posts
Pics to follow soon with a template. We have tons of this material at work, so if anyone can't find it, I can cut one out and ship it on your dime!

-P

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,206 Posts
Tried it, there is not enough room for the recirc damper to move, since when it opens it gets closer to the squirell cage housing for the blower (1/8" or so)

If a filter were to be installed, it would have to be above the recirc damper. Otherwise, the damper will not function. It will, but there is a very high chance that the motor will go out because it keeps squishing the filter. Even so, every time it opens/closes, it moves the filter, so it won't be in place...

Trying to find a new spot...

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,206 Posts
No luck.

Shaved it down to 1/8" thick with the grinder, ran rods. The damper still grabs the filter, and pulls it up, jamming the motor. All it takes it for the bamper to skim it, and it'll yank it up.

Pulled the glovebox and the plastic above the glovebox looking for a spot. Nothing. Nothing behind the cowl plastic either.

The only place I could see running one is where the end of the plastic, where it meets with the cowl. It would be a good spot and out of the way of everything, but accessing it is a PITA.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
same troubles here...worked well for a while, but tonight on the way from work it jammed into the fan motor. I'm gonna work on it more tomorrow, but I'm sure theres a way to make it work.

Will take pictures this time ;).

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
same troubles here...worked well for a while, but tonight on the way from work it jammed into the fan motor. I'm gonna work on it more tomorrow, but I'm sure theres a way to make it work.

Will take pictures this time ;).
Is there any room to spacer the blower out from the filter? Just thinking out loud... IF you could space it out 1/4" or so, would that help? Just asking because I haven't attempted pulling the blower yet...

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Don't think so since its all pretty tight and sealed. Im thinking something along the lines of HD wire mesh below the filter to keep it from being sucked into the fan.

No problem with the thinking outloud any suggestions on this will be welcomed!

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,206 Posts
Is there any room to spacer the blower out from the filter? Just thinking out loud... IF you could space it out 1/4" or so, would that help? Just asking because I haven't attempted pulling the blower yet...
The way that the blower rides up against the squirell cage, you could have to lower it considerably to get it to fit.

Maybe one way of getting this done is to take apart the ducting that goes to the blower motor, blocking off part the ducting that comes down to the recirc damper, and trimming the recirc damper shorter, and then running a filter in the same spot.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,206 Posts
Don't think so since its all pretty tight and sealed. Im thinking something along the lines of HD wire mesh below the filter to keep it from being sucked into the fan.

No problem with the thinking outloud any suggestions on this will be welcomed!
Wouldn't the recirc damper still grab it and yank it out of the way?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts