TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure what other years use them, but trying to change out my headlights, mine started falling all to pieces. Where can I get some new ones?

For clarification, they are the small plastic clips that you push down into the slot. Can't seem to find any info about them, and the stealership here in town sucks...but I'll go there if I have to.

·
Registered
89 Posts
i found alot of them at the local junk yard, almost all the trucks still had them in them

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd prefer to not go that route and end up in the same spot I'm at now. Doesn't seem like the parts stores carry 'em.

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
check with our sponsors
Champion or TOD

9046712040 $0.75 $0.00 $0.52
Grille - Grille and components - Grille - Clip

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
check with our sponsors
Champion or TOD

I might be missing it, but what sponsors are those? I didn't see either in the list, and haven't been here long enough to know the nick names for favorite sponsors.

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
check with our sponsors
Champion or TOD

I just got 10 of those from Champion Toyota to fix some stuff after an accident/taking grill off. The new clips are a lot less brittle, and don't fall apart like the old plastic ones do. I don't remember the price, but they aren't too much. You can verify the above part number here:

http://www.leecbaker.com/95-2000tacomapartslist.pdf

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I had been starting to think about these too. I think that there are only about 3 holding my grille on right now. That is after it grille was replaced just over a year ago as well.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Here is a little trick I came up with regarding the grill clips. I have used this trick for 7 years now and to this date, I have the "tightest fitting grill around.

I believe there is 5 clips holding the gril on. Maybe 6 as I can't actually remember exactly. 3 on top, one in the center support and maybe two other lower ones.

ON the lower clips, protect them or replace with OEM clips from the dealership (as referenced before they are not expensive) but on the upper three clips, replace them with zip ties! The clip retainers of the grill have slots in them. so place the grill in place without the top clips, then take a 1/8" drill bit or slightly larger and drill corrilating holes in the top of the body surface the grill fastens to. Take a zip tie and place it in the slot created by the missing clip and run it through the new holes you just drilled, sinch up the zip ties and you will not have any movement in your grill! It works like a champ.

and if you are also like me and have loose marker lights, you can carefully drill holes in the top tabs of those marker light housings and the top of the grill and fasten the two parts together with zip ties and they will not be loose any longer!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Even with a few missing, my grille is tight as can be, I'm guessing it has to do with the metal vs. plastic. If all else fails, I'll be doing the zip tie trick. My grille uses 11 (6 on top, 5 on the bottom), so that might have something to do with it holding tighter too.

Grillmasterp, thank you very much...I went to the stealership yesterday and they wanted $1.35 each and would have a 2 day wait on them...gonna pass on that one.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This is why searching is a good thing...

Thanks for all the info, I broke 3 this weekend installing a horn. Used zip ties and I may just keep them rather than replace them.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Bear, that is crazy! I did the same exact thing when I took my grille off and painted it black. It does work like a champ. Those clips are enough to piss you off, go with zip ties!

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
zip ties here as well. i like the marker idea though. my tabs at the bottom are worn to shit.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Zip-tied here. I hate those clips....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts