TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I start my truck in the really cold weather I hear a real bad screeeeeeeeetch - sounds like a warn out fan belt sound. Then it goes away after 10 seconds or so. I took it to my local mechanic and he said it's not the belt it's the clutch plate or something like that? It will cost about $200 - $300 to fix. Funny thing is when its above 30 degrees or so I don't here the sound. I have over 116k on the truck and can deal with the sound if I have too. $300 seems like a lot. What if I ignore the problem : O ? Any help is appreciated. Thx.

·
Registered
20 Posts
screech

i just bought a 95.5 in sept. and noticed a screech when it got realllly cold, it came either from my tach or speedometer and went away as it warmed up. it was below zero out, didn't really sound like a belt. don't know just a thought.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Check:

1) Fan clutch
2) Alternator Brgs

My Alternator front brg is shot, I have the squeal in the cold mornings too, goes away after 5 mins. Make sure it's not something obvious like a loose belt or something first though...

-Rob

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
derekgaddy said:
When I start my truck in the really cold weather I hear a real bad screeeeeeeeetch - sounds like a warn out fan belt sound. Then it goes away after 10 seconds or so. I took it to my local mechanic and he said it's not the belt it's the clutch plate or something like that? It will cost about $200 - $300 to fix. Funny thing is when its above 30 degrees or so I don't here the sound. I have over 116k on the truck and can deal with the sound if I have too. $300 seems like a lot. What if I ignore the problem : O ? Any help is appreciated. Thx.
My idler pulley bearing is on its way out, and it's loud until the engine warms, then it gets quieter. Thats on the V6, dunno what you have.

·
Registered
117 Posts
derekgaddy said:
I have a 96 2.7L. Mine has always done that for a few seconds when it's really cold. 220,000 miles later it still does that. I'm not too worried about it. Probably just a really cold fan clutch perhaps sticking or something.
It never does it once it's warmed up or warm out.

Shawn

1 - 6 of 6 Posts