TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced the left front wheel bearing on my 95 Tacoma. It drives smoothly now and is quiet.

However whenever I brake now, I can hear (and feel in the brake pedal) the ABS system activating as I slow to about 5 mph. Otherwise everything seems fine. The ABS light is not on.

When I picked up the knuckle from the machine shop, I did not look to confirm that the tone ring was positioned correctly (to be opposite the sensor). So I guess my question is... if the tone ring was put on the wrong end of the bearing and the sensor therefore is not reading anything, would that create the symptom that I have?

If not, how do I approach this problem?

Note: I did not remove the sensor from the knuckle as I feared breaking it. I unplugged it under the hood and kept the wire attached.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The ring is definitely not missing. If it were, I would think the ABS light would be on all the time.

And I don't think it can be installed wrong either.

I had left the speed sensor in the knuckle because I was sure I was not going to be able to remove it without breaking it. I have been unable to find anyone who has this sensor for my truck, otherwise I would take it out and check it.

There was not enough purchase area to press this assembly apart, so they had to use a BFH. I think it's possible that the speed sensor was affected by this trauma and/or some rust or debris was dislodged and is affecting how the sensor reads.

There must be something unique about the early Tacoma ABS system which makes this sensor impossible to find. If you (or anyone) knows if a sensor from a later model Tacoma would fit, I would be willing to go ahead and remove that sensor and check things out.

For now I have pulled the ABS fuse.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
What might cause an ABS light to be on all the time? Mine has been on for a couple years now?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What might cause an ABS light to be on all the time? Mine has been on for a couple years now?
  • Bad speed sensor on one or more wheels
  • Cracked tone ring on one or more wheels
  • Broken wire in speed sensor harness
  • Problem with ABS unit under the hood
  • No power to ABS
  • etc.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
  • Bad speed sensor on one or more wheels
  • Cracked tone ring on one or more wheels
  • Broken wire in speed sensor harness
  • Problem with ABS unit under the hood
  • No power to ABS
  • etc.
That's quite a list, any simple checks to narrow it down?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh man I am no expert on this. The list of things that I mentioned are just what came to mind.

If it were me, one thing I would check are the wires going to the front wheels. They are held in place on the steering knuckle and control arm by brackets. On my truck, those brackets have disintegrated and the wires were flopping around. They can easily rub through and cause the ABS to malfunction. (I restrained the wires with zip-ties)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts