TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to pull my cab to get some body work done and decided it was the perfect opportunity for an engine rebuild and long travel prior to pulling I only had a bumper which I will be refabbing to a more prerunner styled bumper, sliders and a rear bumper. Here's the truck originally

A little after I got the truck I added a TRD clutch and did a little work on the side exit exhaust

Since than I pulled the cab/bed off. I took everything off the engine and removed the heads and found one to be cracked so pulled both sent them and the block to the machine shop to be cleaned and were undecided on welding/surfacing the cracks or a new head.
plans for this build:
Camburg long travel in the front
Total chaos extended axles
Fox 2.5 coil overs and 2.0 bumps in the front
Glassworks 4.5 inch fenders
Doug thorley headers
Deavers F-67 leafs
Fox 2.5 by 16" remote resi's with 2.0 bumps
Low profile bed cage
9 Inch axle
Glassworks 7 inch bedsides
Probably a new front and rear bumper aswell and whatever else I cant think of at the moment.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So these were taken awhile ago but my friend has my camera and I cant get any new pictures right at the moment hopefully I can get it back today as Ive had quite a few parts come in.
Heres the truck just getting back from with no cab

About to start engine teardown.

New Walbro fuel pump

And the fenders came in

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have heard some controversy over the TC extended axles. As of now I dont have front axles in my truck do to my money going to other projects, but i would like to get some soon. Have you researched those axles yet? I think that some believe them to be a waste of money.

But like i said, "I have heard." Good luck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I have researched it, it is more expensive than buying shafts and boots yourself but they do work for getting the longer axle otherwise you can do it yourself by buying a longer shaft and what not

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
solidworks? ive never used any of them, but ive heard that name thrown around abit

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Solidworks is the one I heard the most too, its fairly expensive I might try to torrent it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Small update

Time to clean it all up

Crankshaft/boost pulley

Bump cans and bushings

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Does anyone know a good program for designing cages and such?
BendTech by far! Much much cheaper than solidworks and much easier to use

·
Registered
558 Posts
bend tech pro is the best one (my opinion) because you can design the whole cage first and it gives you all the cut lengths and bends, also you can print out the templates for doing the notches.

·
Registered
650 Posts
We use the bend tech pro and is the best for the $$ hands down. Like stated above it will give you lengths to cut and where to bend, but more importantly you can save tooling and material settings and the program calculates bend back for each material used once you do a test bend on each material. The pick point system the program uses is pretty simple once you get the hang of it. This software will even give the weight of the project and how much tubing you will need to purchase before you start as well as cost. Once a design is complete and you are ready to bend the software will basically play a step by step vitual construction video. Basically, the software kicks ass!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another question.
Im running 62" in the rear and I have read alot about 12" shackles over the frame and was planning on doing that but I heard from a few people that running that setup you have a very high amount of body roll. so I was wondering if its better to run a shorter shackle through the frame?
Thanks
-Chris

·
Registered
650 Posts
I am running the 62" Deavers in the rear with the 12" shackles over the frame and baja bushings. My truck is set up for rock crawling and I am running the springs as a spring over instead of a spring under, like the prerunner guys. I can tell you from my set up vs. my previous setup that my body roll is definately worse than before.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
nice downhill bike man whats it got?sweet build to keep up the work.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry its been awhile haven't had a lot of time to do much but some parts came in.
A lot more came in as well but my girlfriend has had my camera.
Spindles welded guessets since than.

Camburg

The 2.5's valved for the tacoma camburg kit

And the forged pistons

Ill post everything else up when I get my camera.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts