TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I have a 96 tacoma truck and the last few weeks when I try and start it clicks instead of starting. It just clicks once per turn. Eventually it will start.

The other night I stopped the car and the starter just kept rolling over even with the key out. It happened again today so I pulled tha battery cable to stop it. That's when it got weird. It proceeded to arc on the positive terminal and eventually melted part of the terminal before I could get the cable disconnected.

I initially thought it was the contacts in the starter but now it looks like it's a short somewhere.

Any ideas what this might be?

Thanks,
Mike in Austin.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
are you talkn' bout the arc on the battery or the starter connections?? I thinking it was the battery!!... You may have grounded it out when connecting the battery back up... :2cents:

Check for damaged cables and replace if necessary...

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,421 Posts
mdnewell said:
Hey,
I have a 96 tacoma truck and the last few weeks when I try and start it clicks instead of starting. It just clicks once per turn. Eventually it will start.

The other night I stopped the car and the starter just kept rolling over even with the key out. It happened again today so I pulled tha battery cable to stop it. That's when it got weird. It proceeded to arc on the positive terminal and eventually melted part of the terminal before I could get the cable disconnected.

I initially thought it was the contacts in the starter but now it looks like it's a short somewhere.

Any ideas what this might be?

Thanks,
Mike in Austin.
Nope, its the contacts like you originally thought. I had the same exact problems (minus the terminal issues). Replace the contacts in the solenoid and you'll be good to go.

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7480

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ShowStop said:
Nope, its the contacts like you originally thought. I had the same exact problems (minus the terminal issues). Replace the contacts in the solenoid and you'll be good to go.

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7480
Thanks everybody.

Animal,
It was arcing at the batery terminal. Now that I think about it it must have still been pulling current and that's why it was arcing on me.

ShowStop,
Cool. I'll replace the contacts tomorrow and post back.

Jake,
Good advice, thanks. I'll remember that. Makes sense.

Thanks again for everyont that got back on this.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I had the exact starter issues a few years back. Ever on occasion it tryin to start with no key in ust like you.

Constacts solved the problem, showstops dead on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts