TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a local add for a "Cap" and the seller just bought the truck with the cap and doesn't want it.

He is selling it for $250. I need to identify it to see if it's worth his price.

What the seller knows about it:

1. Uses 4 clamps to hold to bed
2. Has front sliding window
3. Is made of fiberglass
4. Is professionally painted, looks factory done.
5. Sticker is missing so he can't tell brand

Anyone have any idea what brand or model this cap is? Is it worth $250? THANKS!

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
9,051 Posts
Surprised there are no name plate also on the inside of the cab.
Looks real nice... sorry, no idea of the version.
Why not google truck shells or something like that and view the photos.
I bet you will find it.
Good luck.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
looks like my leer, but cant be sure. there should be a name and serial number plate rivited on the drivers side rear of the canopy right on the inside of the rear window.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Surprised there are no name plate also on the inside of the cab.
Looks real nice... sorry, no idea of the version.
Why not google truck shells or something like that and view the photos.
I bet you will find it.
Good luck.
I did google truck shells and it looks similar to a Leer 100R but not exactly. I'm going to try to go see it at lunch and report back!

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
looks like my leer, but cant be sure. there should be a name and serial number plate rivited on the drivers side rear of the canopy right on the inside of the rear window.
x2, I have a Leer and it has a serial # plate as described above. Ask seller to locate this plate.

·
Registered
984 Posts
You're probably not going to find an exact match among currently-offered caps. That's an older topper with the flat trapezoidal windows that most all cap manufacturers once used, but don't use as much anymore.

I don't see why you're concerned about brand. Considering that new fiberglass canopies can run well over $1000, I'd say anything in decent shape is worth $250.

... And it's clearly designed for an XtraCab.

Just my .02 ...

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're probably not going to find an exact match among currently-offered caps. That's an older topper with the flat trapezoidal windows that most all cap manufacturers once used, but don't use as much anymore.

I don't see why you're concerned about brand. Considering that new fiberglass canopies can run well over $1000, I'd say anything in decent shape is worth $250.

... And it's clearly designed for an XtraCab.

Just my .02 ...
Thanks for this information. I'm not concerned much about brand but knowing a brand and model would let me know if it's a decent topper or not I suppose.

The seller says the hydraulics on the rear glass are worn out and the key is missing but the locks work. I definitely need the rear to lock so that's my only concern but I'm sure for the price I can figure something out. :cool:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Older toppers almost always need their gas shocks replaced, and lots of people lose their keys. These guys sell replacement shocks and locks (and other topper parts) cheap. I replaced the lock and lifter shocks on my topper recently.

http://www.pickupspecialties.com/Camper_shell_parts.htm

-Sam

·
Registered
47 Posts
dude that thing is blown out I would never get a camper without windoors.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Anyone have any idea what brand or model this cap is? Is it worth $250? THANKS!
I'm not going to go out in the dark and scrape the snow off mine to compare, but it looks very similar to my Raider Vagabond which has the sloped front part to match the cab curve, the same windows and everything else you mentioned. FYI, mine has 2 independent locking handles on the back and it says Raider in black raised lettering below the rear glass and has a plate above the bed rail on one of the sides.

Is it worth $250? If you need a canopy and you have the same color truck, that is a great deal and you can sell it if you end up not using it. As others said, don't worry about the shocks, they are cheap and easy to replace.

F

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I bought the topper and I feel I got a great buy!

I'm not going to go out in the dark and scrape the snow off mine to compare, but it looks very similar to my Raider Vagabond which has the sloped front part to match the cab curve, the same windows and everything else you mentioned. FYI, mine has 2 independent locking handles on the back and it says Raider in black raised lettering below the rear glass and has a plate above the bed rail on one of the sides.

Is it worth $250? If you need a canopy and you have the same color truck, that is a great deal and you can sell it if you end up not using it. As others said, don't worry about the shocks, they are cheap and easy to replace.

F
I just found some pics of Raider Vagabond toppers today and also noted that it looks almost identical. Still can't find anything on it that indicates brand. Of note: the interior is not carpeted it's just coated off-white fiberglass.

dude that thing is blown out I would never get a camper without windoors.
If you are referring to the shadow on the right edge of the window...that is definitely not broken glass.

Here is the picture of the topper on my truck!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
only thing I don't like about the shell you purchased:

the over-sized windows that required removal of structural glass from the lower rail...
these OS'd window tend to leak over time if the shell is flex'd on a regular basis off the road. There's always the chance the shell's, less then spectacular, rail could crack due to severe flex as well.

But hey... for 250 bones...
I'd give it a a shot at destroying 'er !

You might get lucky and she'll survive yer use and abuse.

Just sayin'

If I were to ever buy a new shell... there'd be no side windows in my junk.

used... it's what it is. ;)

good luck wit 'er :)

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There's always the chance the shell's, less then spectacular, rail could crack due to severe flex as well.
Just to clarify...the shell's rail...are you referring to the rail that clamps to my bed rails? This shell has an aluminum rail under the windows that extends to the outer edge as well.

I doubt flex will be too much of an issue as I live in the East and most of my trail riding is near the Carolina coast...flat!

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Just to clarify...the shell's rail...are you referring to the rail that clamps to my bed rails? This shell has an aluminum rail under the windows that extends to the outer edge as well.

I doubt flex will be too much of an issue as I live in the East and most of my trail riding is near the Carolina coast...flat!
Yes

ok... in that case... keep 'er on 'da flat and I'm sure you'll be fine ;)

fwiw... I'm not a fan of the alloy rails... and would rather have a solid, one piece, fiberglass rail... if it were to see extreme duty, off road.

JM experience N opinion

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes

ok... in that case... keep 'er on 'da flat and I'm sure you'll be fine ;)

fwiw... I'm not a fan of the alloy rails... and would rather have a solid, one piece, fiberglass rail... if it were to see extreme duty, off road.

JM experience N opinion
Are there ways to minimize the amount of flex the bed of the truck takes? Perhaps by putting some rubber bushings between the bed and the frame?

·
Registered
737 Posts
For $250 that is a great deal, especially I paid for my new SnugTop $1500 (but added specifics and had to order it custom).

My GF has a Radar shell on her truck. The keys weren't included when she bought her truck. We went to a few different shell places, and one of them had a key that worked. A lot of these shells interchange barrels/keys.

The clear coat on her shell is fading really badly on top. We try to wax it often, but I think the original owner didn't. She has two Al clamps that hold it down. It keeps water out pretty good, but by no means does it keep all the water out. We even put additional seals between the bed and shell. With your bed rails LineX'd you will probably have an even harder time keeping water out. The most common place for water to enter is in the two front corners of the bed, or where the back window mates with the tail gate and shell.

With all that said, we still love having shells during the rainy/snowy seasons. Its also great to throw the dogs bed with a shell and keep the mud, mess, wet, and stink in the back. Just don't expect the shell to be 100% water tight.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For $250 that is a great deal, especially I paid for my new SnugTop $1500 (but added specifics and had to order it custom).

My GF has a Radar shell on her truck. The keys weren't included when she bought her truck. We went to a few different shell places, and one of them had a key that worked. A lot of these shells interchange barrels/keys.

The clear coat on her shell is fading really badly on top. We try to wax it often, but I think the original owner didn't. She has two Al clamps that hold it down. It keeps water out pretty good, but by no means does it keep all the water out. We even put additional seals between the bed and shell. With your bed rails LineX'd you will probably have an even harder time keeping water out. The most common place for water to enter is in the two front corners of the bed, or where the back window mates with the tail gate and shell.

With all that said, we still love having shells during the rainy/snowy seasons. Its also great to throw the dogs bed with a shell and keep the mud, mess, wet, and stink in the back. Just don't expect the shell to be 100% water tight.
Good points!

I'm ordering additional foam tape to help seal it along the rails and am going to glue in some dense foam where the rear glass meats the tail gate for additional water tightness. I don't expect it to withstand a hurricane without leaking but it sure will be more comfortable to sleep in than my tent in a thunderstorm. :cool:

I guess I'm getting old, but I do not think that this topper makes my truck look unattractive. I suspect the only time the topper will come off is if I have to haul furniture or something too bulky to fit with the cap on.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Seriously hold off and try to find WINDOORS!~

edit: I noticed you already purchased the camper. Good on you, but think about trying windoors in the future...

These open up to allow you to reach in from the side. LIFE SAVERS

1 - 20 of 20 Posts