TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Redd and I have been trouble shooting this clutch issue that I have had for a while, wouldn't hurt to see if anybody else has an opinion on this either. Backstory:

First, Clutch randomly stuck to the floor and wouldn't allow me to shift into first. Pulled it up with my hand and shifted fine the rest of the way home. Checked fluids and all levels were fine and no leaking around master or slave cylinder. Still bled the system from the slave and had no air bubbles.

Slowly started getting worse; only happened in first gear starting from a complete stop, then first and reverse. Then got to where it would hang up shifting into second and third, but was easier to recover from once I was all ready moving. Never was able to get the clutch to slip or noticed it slipping.

Talking with Redd, he recommended changing slave cylinder. The day I changed slaves, the clutch pedal was sticking every single shift and even in 4th and 5th.

Changed slaves and backing it out of the barn the pedal stuck to the floor, all the way down. Had to pull it back up by hand. But not in 1st-5th leaving the barn. Did a "trial" run of 20 shifts (10 in 1st and 10 in Rev), and the pedal only hung up once about half way to the floor. Decided it was safe to drive home. On the 40 total shifts from backing out of the barn to pulling up to the house, I had 3 "sticks":
1) In reverse, all the way to the floor
2) In reverse, half way to the floor
3 2nd gear came 75% of the way back up before sticking

Drove it around town last night with 1 pedal sticking issue that was barely noticeable, say around 85-90% of the way back up. Since each "pedal stick" is getting less severe each time I'm thinking it has gone away or is in the process of building enough pressure to deal with the problem.

Even though the problem may be fixed I wanted to make this thread in case anybody else with a 5 spd had a similar problem because I couldn't find anything on a site that would help me determine if it was a master cylinder, slave cylinder, or clutch issue; also in case somebody had anymore input on this. And since the issue isn't completely resolved, I'll update this when I get it totally figured out or determine if the master cylinder needs replaced also.

**Update**
Clutch pedal hasn't stuck since the day after I put the new slave in. Hopefully this has solved the problem and now putting a new master in is just preventative maintenance. I'd still like to put a new master, just not in as big of a hurry to do it since the problem is resolved and I have a bunch of other "honey-do's" to get done before the baby.

**Update No. 2**
The new master cylinder seems to have solved the problem. I still have some adjusting to do, because there is some play in the clutch pedal that is annoying me. But other than that, time will tell if that fixed it for good.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
I've learned its best to change both the master and slave at the same time and go from there. They are really cheap and pretty easy to change... ask Greg, I think he had the same issue and it was one or the other cant' remember.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I would have guessed it was master first. It still sounds like master cylinder. I'd have told you to change it first if you had asked me. :D

Ted has a good point, but we grew up in the "great recession." We only spend as little as possible to fix a problem. :p

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would have guessed it was master first. It still sounds like master cylinder. I'd have told you to change it first if you had asked me. :D

Ted has a good point, but we grew up in the "great recession." We only spend as little as possible to fix a problem. :p
haha exactly. I'm trying to keep myself from just shotgunning new parts at it and seeing what works.

I was going to change them both out but Redd said he had the same problem I'd explained and a new slave solved it for him. It seems to have solved it for me also because it hasn't stuck since the day after I put the new slave on. I'll probably still replace the master some point in the near future just because I think it's still a good idea to.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I'm glad it seems to be fixed. In my experience with a master cylinder, the longer it sits, the worse the pressure "leaks" down, then you can pump it up and be able to shift. If it's the slave it seems like normal pedal feel, but no movement at the slave.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm glad it seems to be fixed. In my experience with a master cylinder, the longer it sits, the worse the pressure "leaks" down, then you can pump it up and be able to shift. If it's the slave it seems like normal pedal feel, but no movement at the slave.
Yeah it hasn't stuck at all since the day after I replaced the slaves. Starting from a complete stop, especially on a hill, was the worst, and I've been trying to put it in places that it would usually stick but still nothing.

I'm still planning on replacing the master whenever I get the chance / time.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it happened again. Out of nowhere it started sticking last night, and worse than before I believe. I've just got to get time to put the new master cylinder on, and we'll see if that fixes it or not.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The new master cylinder seems to have solved the problem. Time will tell I guess. I have some adjusting to figure out for the clutch pedal and it's positions, but for now it's fixed..."again"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts