TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started out by making a set of front tube doors for my 97 4runner this week. They fit great. I hope to be wheeling with them really soon. They cost me right around $50. I made all my own hinges and latches. I plan on making some rear doors too, hopefully I can get them done around the end of next week

on to the pics.

Doors off

Statring the doors

Finished product. :) I may add some expanded metal to the inside of the door, and I want to add some marine speakers.

All painted up

tube caps which already have dents, I plan on weld on versions, but this was good enough for now. and a close up of the latch. I super glued that rubber stopper to the door. they fit super tight and dont rattle at all. The pin latch is not the most convenient but it was super cheap and stout

My friend was stoked on my design so this morning we fabbed up some simple doors for his 09 taco. i used the same hinge design and latch. I hope to add another tube in his doors in the next week. We didnt have much time, but I think they turned out pretty good for 3 hours of work

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
keep in mind that the doors add a ton of strength to roof in a roll over. id never run tube/half doors with out a cage.

my :2cents:

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Learn something new everyday. Never thought about that!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
keep in mind that the doors add a ton of strength to roof in a roll over. id never run tube/half doors with out a cage.

I dont understand that since the top of the door is super thin. the doors on these trucks basically sits completely outside of the roof anyways. And im wanting to cage the thing anyways. My next thing is to tie the rear roll bar into the frame and go from there.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts

I was just reading something on this very subject...but can't seem to find it again....anyways, the strength added to the roof from the doors is negligible.

I would be more worried about rocks, trees, other foreign objects coming in through the tube doors. I intend on plating mine for this very reason.

nevertheless, a cage wouldn't be a bad idea....but tube doors aren't going to be the motivating factor for me to put a cage in.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I would have to agree with Bovads on this one..

Even though the doors do sit out a little from the body, it’s the fact that they tie-in the body (pillars, roof, and floor board) that helps strength the roof in a rollover.

Sorry to rain on your Tube doors parade…;)

Nice Fab work on the doors though, they look good..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts