TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,
I have a 97 4runner with a motor out of a 99 4runner in it. its the 3.4 motor with auto trans. Recently the starter has been acting up. It's not your typical just wont start issue it seems that the starter is grinding, almost like when the vehicle is running and you forget and attempt to start it again. before i shell out $100-200 for a new starter i am looking to see if anyone can give me some ideas or suggestion as to wether it may not be the starter or if it can be rebuilt rather than replaced? i have read quite a bit on the rebuild part as far as new contacts, plunger etc. but everything i read about doing the rebuild was based on people saying the starter won't engage at all.

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

jason

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've seen it where the plunger will stick and the starter will stay engaged. Actually had the same problem on a '94 pickup I had. Just rebuilt it with contacts and a plunger from Toyota and it will be fine.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how'd the motor swap go?
pics?
write ups?
sorru no pics or write up just a somewhat basic 3.4 to 3.4 swap. had to change the exhaust manifolds as well as the intake manifold and harness but other than that it was out with the old and in with the new

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've seen it where the plunger will stick and the starter will stay engaged. Actually had the same problem on a '94 pickup I had. Just rebuilt it with contacts and a plunger from Toyota and it will be fine.
thanks for the advice i figured it wouldnt hurt to do the rebuild anyway since the starter is from the original motor that had 195k on it so i guess its due.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Make sure to check the teeth on the flex plate while it's out for damage. Also since it's been recently out and fooled with make sure the flex plate is facing the correct way ( I don't know if it's possible to put in backwards) The teeth are cut in a way to push the starter gear back after the motor starts.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Make sure to check the teeth on the flex plate while it's out for damage. Also since it's been recently out and fooled with make sure the flex plate is facing the correct way ( I don't know if it's possible to put in backwards) The teeth are cut in a way to push the starter gear back after the motor starts.
hopefully going to be able to drop the starter and take a look around wed or thurs depending on how the " honey-do" list looks around the house. it only seems to do it when i start the runner not her? i even make sure im not trying to start for too long. its also just 50/50 with me sometimes it starts right up no problems and others it starts then grinds, almost like its kicking back?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts