TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got a 1997 tacoma 4x4. the thing didn't come with a manual and i have no clue how to use the 4x4 function. what is the h2, h4, and L4 gears? sorry for the noob question.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nope. the guy i bought it from didnt have it. sorry for the noob post though. i've never used a 4x4 before...i just want to know when to use the h2, h4, and L4 fuctions. I know how to lock the wheels and eveything. Just want to know when and how the gears should be used. thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Wow this is like the ultimate newbie question.
Ok I will try my best to explain. H2 (High 2wd (2hi)) is your standard 2wd everyday driving. H4 (High 4wd(4hi)) is for use of 4wd when going at lets say faster speeds, ie snow and ice covered roads, steep dirt and gravel roads, or basic trail riding. L4 (Low Range 4wd (4lo)) Is for more technical driving, having it in 4wd in situations where you want to go as slow as possible or have as much torque to the wheels as possible. Steep incline and declines, crawling over rocks, tight manuevering. And if I was going to pull someone out of a mud hole I would first try and pull them out in 4lo then if more wheel speed was needed bump up to 4hi. Never have 4wd engaged on pavement. Also just because you have a 4wd doesn't mean all 4 tires are pulling, they just have the potential to pull, most of the time when in 4wd you only have one front tire and one rear tire pulling at any one time. unless you get a locker and then you can have 4wd, but thats a whole nother topic all together.
Anyways pretty sure I left something out but that is in the most part basic principles. But I am sure somebody else will bring up other points.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts