TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '97 2.7L started mis-firing like mad today...so bad that I can smell gas...strong gas odor in the exhaust. Not throwing a code. New plugs. Original everything else as far as the ignition goes. What's the most likely suspect part?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What exactly is the ignitor?

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,421 Posts
Since you just replaced the plugs, I'd suspect the plugs or wires. What plugs did you install?

I'm also moving this thread to the engine folder.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,421 Posts
Plugs are properly gapped, etc? Does your truck have wires or the coils over the plugs? If the plugs are good, I'm thinking you might have damaged one of the wires (if you have wires).

Can you narrow down the misfire to one cylinder or is it multiple cylinders? You should have a CEL if this is happening...

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ShowStop said:
Plugs are properly gapped, etc? Does your truck have wires or the coils over the plugs? If the plugs are good, I'm thinking you might have damaged one of the wires (if you have wires).

Can you narrow down the misfire to one cylinder or is it multiple cylinders? You should have a CEL if this is happening...
No CEL. I have wires. The misfire problems showed early warning signs right after I changed the plugs and front O2 sensor 4000 miles ago. Now it's really bad. Like you said, maybe I damaged one of the wires. They are 10 years old...

Modern coils are SUPPOSED to last the life of the vehicle right?

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,421 Posts
97TacoDude said:
Modern coils are SUPPOSED to last the life of the vehicle right?
Sometimes they have problems, but you would have different symptoms. I'd lean towards the wires. You should replace the wires at 60k

·
Registered
822 Posts
this happened to me, turned out to be a fuel injector that stuck wide open. what codes are you getting? you did scan it right? usually that will tell you where the miss is coming from.

·
Registered
514 Posts
97TacoDude said:
My '97 2.7L started mis-firing like mad today...so bad that I can smell gas...strong gas odor in the exhaust. Not throwing a code. New plugs. Original everything else as far as the ignition goes. What's the most likely suspect part?
Double check your plug wire ordering, that could cause harsh misfire.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I will second the wires. I had the exact same symptoms on my 97 2.7 Tacoma. I had done the plugs but figured the wires would last longer. New wires and truck ran perfect again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts