TTORA Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '97 2.7L started mis-firing like mad today...so bad that I can smell gas...strong gas odor in the exhaust. Not throwing a code. New plugs. Original everything else as far as the ignition goes. What's the most likely suspect part?

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,595 Posts
Plugs are properly gapped, etc? Does your truck have wires or the coils over the plugs? If the plugs are good, I'm thinking you might have damaged one of the wires (if you have wires).

Can you narrow down the misfire to one cylinder or is it multiple cylinders? You should have a CEL if this is happening...

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ShowStop said:
Plugs are properly gapped, etc? Does your truck have wires or the coils over the plugs? If the plugs are good, I'm thinking you might have damaged one of the wires (if you have wires).

Can you narrow down the misfire to one cylinder or is it multiple cylinders? You should have a CEL if this is happening...
No CEL. I have wires. The misfire problems showed early warning signs right after I changed the plugs and front O2 sensor 4000 miles ago. Now it's really bad. Like you said, maybe I damaged one of the wires. They are 10 years old...

Modern coils are SUPPOSED to last the life of the vehicle right?

·
Registered
514 Posts
97TacoDude said:
My '97 2.7L started mis-firing like mad today...so bad that I can smell gas...strong gas odor in the exhaust. Not throwing a code. New plugs. Original everything else as far as the ignition goes. What's the most likely suspect part?
Double check your plug wire ordering, that could cause harsh misfire.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.