TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 Tacoma 4x4 with a 2.7 engine. Could I tow a 18-19 Ft bass boat? The trailer has brakes. I think I can get a good deal on the boat but it may be too much for my Tacoma.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
With a receiver hitch, providing you dont have larger tires (32+ or if you have larger tires have geared it appropriately) and you dont mind driving a little slower. You wont break any speed records but it can be done.
Tim

·
Registered
24 Posts
tacoma200 said:
I have a 1997 Tacoma 4x4 with a 2.7 engine. Could I tow a 18-19 Ft bass boat? The trailer has brakes. I think I can get a good deal on the boat but it may be too much for my Tacoma.

My friend with a standard cab 2.7 tacoma towed my 20 ft ski boat (many years back) with no problems...not much worse than my s/c v6 once it was up to speed. If you have an automatic you may want to look into a tranny cooler.

Mike

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
tacoma200 said:
I have towed a 27ft. fountain raceboat with my 2.7. So, yes you can. Most of my problems come with the brakes. Since it has trailer brakes, you should be alright.

·
Administrator
18,267 Posts
tacoma200 said:
Whats the weight of the boat+trailer? Anything beyond 3500lbs is exceeding the rating of the truck. I've towed 3000lbs before, and that felt like the max I would want to tow.

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
tacoma200 said:
what size tires, gears? weight of boad/trailer? manual or AT?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts