TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '97 Tacoma 4x4 extra cab and it still has the factory suspension, which is horrible. On the highway at 65 MPH it bounces all over the place. If I hit a bump, I'm still feeling it a mile later it seems! What would be a great aftermarket upgrade for this vehicle? I want to do rear shocks and front coil-over (including the springs).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
how many miles do you have on your current rear shocks? could they have gone bad? to feel a good on-road feel (as well as off) a front coilover is a very good option. their are a bunch of companies that make them for tacomas. some brands are camburg, donahoe, king, SAW etc. good rear shocks are bilsteins. the combonation of those two should make your ride better
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The truck has 78,000 miles on all the original equipment. If I put progressive rate springs and Bilstein "shocks" on the front would that make a huge improvement? I am willing to spend some $$$ but only if it will make a *big* difference. I remember when I first bought the truck I was on some forums and everyone complained that the stock suspension was horrible, and here I am still driving around on it!

**also, I don't want to spend a ton of money on some beautifully machined and painted coil-over package especially sinde I really don't use the truck off-road. I'm looking for a good on-road progressive spring/coil-over package. Thanks for any more help!
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,845 Posts
97TacoDude said:
I have a '97 Tacoma 4x4 extra cab and it still has the factory suspension, which is horrible. On the highway at 65 MPH it bounces all over the place. If I hit a bump, I'm still feeling it a mile later it seems! What would be a great aftermarket upgrade for this vehicle? I want to do rear shocks and front coil-over (including the springs).
your shocks are gone, LOL my OE shocks lasted about 20k

what do you want to do with your truck? wheel it? street queen?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wheel it maybe 4 miles a year, and the other 9,996 miles are street miles...what I want to do is make it ride as nice as possible on the street/highway. I know that you'll never make a truck ride like a car but right now the ride is ridiculous...almost out of control.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,692 Posts
coilover...some new rear shocks...like bilsteins...and maybe some new leaf packs if you want too...hehe

but coilovers will give ur ride what u are looking for...def get some new rear shocks...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,478 Posts
97TacoDude said:
I wheel it maybe 4 miles a year, and the other 9,996 miles are street miles...what I want to do is make it ride as nice as possible on the street/highway. I know that you'll never make a truck ride like a car but right now the ride is ridiculous...almost out of control.
If you would like a better ride, but not spend a gack of cash, I would suggest 3 things for the front, in no particular order. A Sway away coilover. See Demello or Camburg offroad. Around $650. Downey coilover. A bilstien shock and a new spring. Around $650. For the rear, I'd suggest the doescth tech shocks/mv12?? A good all around shock, for a decent price. $90 ish. See downey offroad. Perhaps camburg still has a set of good used coilovers for sale, or check the want ads, and maybe a combo deal for rear shocks . For the rear lift, a deaver add on leaf pack. That is my advice. You should be really happy there, and hopefully not too broke.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Who makes a good progressive coil-over package that I can just bolt it?
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,845 Posts
97TacoDude said:
Who makes a good progressive coil-over package that I can just bolt it?
NWOR, but I wouldn't recommend it for what you describe. That was my first lift. Handling was fantastic but the ride was rather stiff. Front articulation was drastically reduced, even from stock.

the next real question is: what is your budget?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Whatever it takes to make the thing ride properly on the road. After a 5 or 6 hour trip I am exhausted. A poorly riding vehicle will fatique the driver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
get some coilovers up front then. the difference will be night and day. it was for me at least. off the road but it also felt smooth on the highway which is what you want
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,845 Posts
97TacoDude said:
Whatever it takes to make the thing ride properly on the road. After a 5 or 6 hour trip I am exhausted. A poorly riding vehicle will fatique the driver.
get some SAWs for the front and crank them down to about 1-1.5" of lift if you still run stock 31s. for the rear go with Deaver springs, which ones will depend on how much weight you haul. rear shocks, look into Bilstein HDs or 5100s. contact Demello for all of this.
You won't believe the difference.

as for long distance travel comfort...get rid of you seats ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,478 Posts
97TacoDude said:
Who makes a good progressive coil-over package that I can just bolt it?
They all just bolt in. The real difference is that the 2.5 diameter shocks you have to bend some brake brackets. With only 3" of spring travel, you don't want a progressive coil . But if you don't really pound your truck, you'll be happy with any of the choiced mentioned. The SAW or Downey coilovers are so much better than what you have got, you will be amazed. But a bouncing rear end says worn shocks for sure. Too many people overlook the rear end of the truck, and always wonder why it's good, but not great. I doubt you need any of the other stuff yet,ie; reservoir shocks and the like, as you stated you are on pavement mostly. Save your money.
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,845 Posts
rojodiablo said:
Too many people overlook the rear end of the truck, and always wonder why it's good, but not great.
ain't it the truth, LOL

I thought my truck rode pretty well...then I changed the rear shocks to the 5150s...rides better than my wife's SUV ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
1998 Tacoma

My '98 Tacoma has similar problems, but I notice That the parts sugested are not toyota made, will they serve long, being I am from Jamaica where all roads are extremely potholed. My truck will sway out the lane if it hits a rut at about 40 mph, except for about two weeks of wearing new shocks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,478 Posts
LowellDillon said:
My '98 Tacoma has similar problems, but I notice That the parts sugested are not toyota made, will they serve long, being I am from Jamaica where all roads are extremely potholed. My truck will sway out the lane if it hits a rut at about 40 mph, except for about two weeks of wearing new shocks.
So far with this group, we have had good luck with the bilstien shocks for both the rear and front. The coilovers are better shock bodies, with a stronger spring . The nice thing about coilovers is they can be rebuilt, where as you just throw away the stock shocks. The ride quality is MUCH better, especially on badly maintained roads.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Help me Rojodiablo, or anyone

The Bilstien shocks for the rear, and the coilover for the front? What brand coilover is best; What about Toyota they make it too? What are the approximate prices? Where can I source them? It is easier for me in southern Florida.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,446 Posts
LowellDillon said:
Help me Rojodiablo, or anyone

The Bilstien shocks for the rear, and the coilover for the front? What brand coilover is best; What about Toyota they make it too? What are the approximate prices? Where can I source them? It is easier for me in southern Florida.
Most people are going to tell you that Donahoe Racing makes the best coilover.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,478 Posts
PaulW said:
Most people are going to tell you that Donahoe Racing makes the best coilover.
I don't think he wants to spend $900 for his front end. They'd probably get swiped fast down there. I'd suggest the Sway-a-way coilovers, or maybe OME, or fabtech. All are better than the factory coilover. I don't know of any shops in South Florida, Go to the top where you see MEMBER SERVICES. It will put you to the state TTORA boards. Click on Florida, and ask for some info there; someone will get you set straight.
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,845 Posts
LowellDillon said:
Help me Rojodiablo, or anyone

The Bilstien shocks for the rear, and the coilover for the front? What brand coilover is best; What about Toyota they make it too? What are the approximate prices? Where can I source them? It is easier for me in southern Florida.
how much $ can you spend?

cheapest, quality rebuildable coilovers are Sway Aways at around $650
these will hold up to the potholes and when they do wear out you just rebuild them rather than replace them. They are tons easier to install/remove then regular shocks since you don't have to deal with spring compressors.
I would, however, check around to see where you can get them recharged with nitrogen. Most motorcycle shops have this service. You can always just send them out to be rebuilt but your truck would be down for quite a while.

for the rear, look into some Bilstein 5150s (depending on what lift you have as their sizes are limited). These are a resevoir shock designed to hold up much better to bumpy roads.

contacts: Demello, Camburg.com, Wheelers, FJ60
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top