TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I need some advice on a crossover install. I overhauled my engine a few years ago and forgot (not sure how) about how much if a PITA the crossover was. The engine is in, heads are on...my question is a 2 parter.:
1. Can I remove the heads and have enough room to get the crossover in?
2. Can I reinstall and re-torque the already torqued MLS head gasket?...I will replace the TTY bolts.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi again, I didn't introduce myself. I'm Mike, got a '97 Tacoma, '10 Tundra...bought the Tacoma new in '97.

Lost a head gasket a few years ago, probably due to using the wrong coolant. I had the engine bored 0.02/.5mm over, installed an enginetech kit...it's been sitting under my carport for a few years, partially assembled.

When I had the engine bored/deck shaved, the machinist drilled and tapped the dowels to get em out...he also $#@+ed up the threads in one of the HB holes...had to get and modify a time-sert (Subaru) kit to fix it...long story there.

I forgot to install the crossover pipe, before I got the heads on...so that's where I am. Empty heads (mine and the truck's), and don't know if I should remove the heads or try another route (pass side) to get the CP in or not.

Does anyone know if the CP will fit with the engine installed, and the heads off?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey! Thanks for responding, Showstop. As you know, there's not much room back there...the heads are in the way...but not sure if removing them will make room enough...dread the thought of removing them, and then its not certain if the CP will even fit. The thought of having to replace the HGs...<shudder>

I've read that as long as the HG isn't heat cycled AND the coating isn't scratched/disturbed, they can be re-torqued. I've also read (somewhere here, maybe), that removing the pipe to cat, then lifting the engine/trans (at the trans end), will make enough to, as he put it, "roll" the CP in...

Have you or anyone re-torqued a HG like this?

·
Administrator
18,243 Posts
I've never "re-torqued" the head gasket bolts. They are torque to yield. So in theory, as soon as you remove them, they have to be replaced.

Disconnecting the rear tranny mount and lifting or lowering from that end should give you enough room to clear the pipe. I know removing the bellhousing and trans will definitely provide plenty of clearance, but that is a whole ton of additional work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I just got it. I removed the 4 (oddly small) trans/transfer case mount-to-member bolts, lifted it way up, "rolled" and tapped in the CP...the DS head got a little scratched (near a freeze plug), and it was a little tough getting the mount realigned, but what a time saver...and man, I hope nothing got F'ed (like the trans and CP joint) in the process.

That saved about $100 in parts, not to mention all of the extra work and headache of taking off/putting the heads back on.

I owe a debt of gratitude to the guy who posted how he did it... And thanks for your support, ShowStop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts