TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I have a 98 taco 4x4 v6 sr5 with 150,000 miles and the thing will not stay in alignment. If I have it aligned at a sop it it perfect for about 3 weeks of normal driving. No potholes or curbs hitting, I am very careful. After this time, it begins to pull to the left until it gets so bad I have to go get another alignment, and its getting expensive. What could be causing this. I have 31x10.50/15 tires on it all inflated properly. Thanks

·
Registered
150 Posts
Left side Ball joints could cause it to pull to the left. Other than that I don't have a clue.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
mohawk17 said:
What could be causing this.
-Go to a different alignment shop
-Make sure all the bolts are tight after the job is done
-Switch the position of your tires side to side

·
Registered
83 Posts
You might try a chain shop. Express Tire in Calif. has a flat rate for 3 year unlimited aligment and for lifetime. Not a bad way to go if you have to align alot

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
mohawk17 said:
Hey Guys, I have a 98 taco 4x4 v6 sr5 with 150,000 miles and the thing will not stay in alignment. If I have it aligned at a sop it it perfect for about 3 weeks of normal driving. No potholes or curbs hitting, I am very careful. After this time, it begins to pull to the left until it gets so bad I have to go get another alignment, and its getting expensive. What could be causing this. I have 31x10.50/15 tires on it all inflated properly. Thanks
with that many miles I would be looking at steering rack bushings first, then upper and lower ball joints then inner and outer tie-rods

jack up the front end and get it up on jackstands. grab a front wheel and shake it back and forth while watching the steering rack. ANY play and you need new bushings. the alignment won't hold with worn bushings. Re-torque the bolts/nuts twice after replacement
shake the wheels up and down to check for ball joint play.

any good front-end shop should be able to trouble shoot this, however.

·
Registered
340 Posts
mohawk17 said:
Until you figure out the problem, you might want to invest in a lifetime alignment. I recently paid $129 at my local Firestone.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
mohawk17 said:
the dealership should do a good job at alingments right?
ONLY if they have a tech who can think outside the tiny Toyota box. My dealership can only seem to align it as if it were not lifted...so, I take it elsewhere.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I second the Firestone deal, grrrrrrrrreat deal!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts