TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the off-topic here, but I'd like to know if anyone here has had problems with their Tacoma frame rotting and breaking, even though the rest of the truck is pristine.

I have a 98 Tacoma, bought it new in late 97. No modifications, was a great truck for 9 years, but now it wont pass inspection because the frame is completely rotten. looks like it started near the leafspring mounts.

Anyways, if anyone has more info on this issue, please post and share.

thank you.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
I would imagine that it would depend largely on your local and if you deal with salted roads in the winter time. I have a 95.5 and have no problems of that sort but then where I live I don't have salted roads to deal with.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I have a 98 that has been in Maine and New York all its life. The frame is a bit rusty but over the last year I have put chassis saver on most of it. I think it is in good condition seeing where it has been. You just have to pay attention and do preventive maintenance. Salted roads dont make it any easier though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I live in NY and have owned a few Toyota 4x4's. The only one I had a concern about the frame was a 94 that had a plow on it. Do you trust these guys that inspected your truck?
I have always seen brake/fuel lines go long before I had any frame issues. I see Nissan pickups with rotted frames all the time. Never a Taco.

Is there enough material around it to weld? :welder:

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
If it truelly is rotted beyond repair, I must say that's quite a rapid rate of oxidation for a '98.

Back about 2 years ago when I bought my truck and was looking at Tacomas(probably checked out about 10 or 12 of them between '97 to '02 year range), not many of them had rust anywhere near as bad as what you're describing. Almost all of them had rust on them to some degree on the frames, but even the worst ones that I saw weren't bad enough that they were in danger of being dangerous or non-roadworthy.

I'm anal about rust(I spent like 20+ each time on 2 different occasions stripping and painting the frame on my truck to prevent/halt rust), so I'm always looking at other peoples Tacoma frames when I walk by them in parking lots... just to see how rusted they are for the generations of each truck. Living in Mass.. it's definitely not a pretty sight to see some frames, but for the most part, they all seem to be structurally intact and safe.

You'll probably just want to pay extra special attention to washing and occasional respraying/painting of the frame to keep rust at bay in the future. There are products out there that you can put on right over rust and they claim that it will turn the rust into a solid chunk of stuff that will not rust any further... but I wouldn't trust that to strengthen a frame that had rotted to the point where it was unsafe.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
:eek: rotted through in 9 years??

My '98 has a decent amount of surface rust but nothing some steel wool won't take off. I plan on cleaning it up this summer and painting it.

Take a screw driver and pound on the frame where the rust is, if it's just surface rust, get a wire wheel on a drill or grinder, clean it, paint it, get it inspected again.

If it really is rotted straight through, idk what to tell you, thats some high power salt you've got near you. :explode:

·
Registered
317 Posts
when i bought my 98 it was out from arizona with no rust or rot. that winter i moved to maine for 7 months and got lots of rust but since moving back home it hasnt gotten any worse..
it all depends on what they use on the roads where you live

·
Registered
68 Posts
brush the down real good and weld you some 3/8" plates on both sides of the rusted place. This way you can box that section of frame on both sides of the rotted place.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have the same concern with the rust issue living in Pa with the salty winters. I have used this product before on other prodjects and plan to put it on my frame. This stuff is easy to work with.

http://www.rust-bullet.com/

·
Registered
181 Posts
the rust bullet stuff seems pretty interesting, but the company isn't even in this country yet they are putting american flags on the cans. Not that it's bad that it isn't from this country, just struck me as odd...

·
Registered
74 Posts
well i waited to long.I heard a clanking noise yesterday when turning.I put it on a lift today and found the same thing. Frame all swiss cheesed in front of the rear leaf springs and by the right front sway bar bracket. My noise was the sway bar bracket ripping from the swiss cheese frame. I did some research and found that this is a common problem. Not sure what to do just yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts