TTORA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck seems to have a problem with the throttle at 2300 RPMs or below. If I accelerate slowly it bogs and sometimes will "pop". If I stomp on the throttle it runs fine.

Background: I had a rebuilt 2.7 motor installed in my 98 Tacoma Excab. The original gave out at 538k miles. While there I replaced the clutch, water pump, alternator, TPS, fuel injectors, AC and I also had the upper control arms replaced. The one-man shop that did all this work also sent the ECM out to a place to get it checked out. Long story short, the truck is not running right. The guy who did all the work seems puzzle with what could be the cause of the problem given that we replaced almost everything. He said that the throttle body could be the culprit. Its the original one from my old motor. I don't recall this happening just prior to my motor going bad so I'm not going to replace the TB until I'm sure.

At this point I've lost confidence in this mechanic. If I knew this was how it was going to turn out after spending a pile of $$$ I would have never brought it to him. I guess my next step is to take it to the Toyota dealership to see if their diagnostic system can identify the issue. I did just get a check engine light but it came back as a faulty EGR valve which should not have any noticeable effects on the fuel/air management system. My guess is this is an ECM issue but I'm not an expert so I don't want to do anything until its gets a thorough diagnosis by someone who is. Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
18,267 Posts
Clogged cats usually zap your power at higher RPMs. I think you have an air/fuel ratio issue. TPS not being calibrated is one possiblity. Might also have an issue with MAF. Start with the TPS. Use the FSM testing guide to see if the TPS is working correctly and check the OBD II readings as well. Do the same for the MAF.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts