TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, After looking all night long for help with a tranny swap I couldn't find what I wanted. I have a 98 Taco 2.7L Stock SR5 4X4 with the 5 speed MT. I found people looking for lower gear stuff. I'm not looking to crawl, I'm looking to race! Any help?

P.S. I would be happy, for a while, by just switching out that 5th gear, any ideas?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I don't know what you're asking exactly, does your current tranny not work? If you're just looking for a higher top speed change your gearing out in the rear. Explain a little more and you'll get a little more help.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,537 Posts
www.marlincrawler.com has what you want. Your transmission is a W59, which is not modifiable. Marlin sells a 3RZ (your 2.7L engine) bellhousing that can be used to mount a R150 manual tranny (stronger transmission, 1st gear modifiable) to the 2.7L engine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok a little more explaining to do... I guess what I'm looking for is difrent gears. If i can find some thing like a "racing gear box" that would be cool. What i really want is to just get rid of that Fith gear. The "over drive" gear.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OH!??? So no one here has done that? Crap!! so I'm on my own.... Thanks for the help for those that replied to my post and please email if any ones done that to a tacoma 2.7 MT thanks.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
OH!??? So no one here has done that? Crap!! so I'm on my own.... Thanks for the help for those that replied to my post and please email if any ones done that to a tacoma 2.7 MT thanks.
try customtacos.com

but...what you are looking for will most likely be a 1-off custom part that will cost major bucks...if it is even available so good luck. As Showstop pointed out...noone bothers to mod these trannys for racing...ain't worth the trouble.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts