TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my roommate just bought a 4runner, maybe put 500 miles on it and the clutch has started to slip. 109K on it... she said it wouldn't go above 40mph, once it hit 40mph the rpms would just go up but it didn't get any faster. So I told her to see if it went past 40 mph in third, it did. So then I tried 4th gear @~ 30 mph and accelerating, and the rpms would go up. So basically, it's slipping... Does she need a whole new clutch kit? I told her I was 95% sure she needed a whole new clutch kit, but I thought some of you may have an idea as to what else it could be. Like maybe the clutch need to be bled?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome, I saw trail gear had aisin kits, I'll have to check what marlins price is. I really wish she was closer to socal, it really sucks that she just bought it about a month ago and has to spend alot of money on it. How much is too much to pay for a clutch replacement? I was thinking 400ish for labor. Is that wishful thinking?

·
Registered
412 Posts
I would have thought they were the same...

Trail Gear Clutch

Marlin Clutch

I don't know, I guess I didn't compare specs, but I would think trail gear and marlin both dealt the OEM equipment, which would be the same?
As much as they would like you to believe, our kits are not the same. The components we use are specifically designed by us to provide the best working clutch for Rock Crawling. We have one of the world's only true Rock Crawler clutch kit that is specifically designed to work better than stock but without a harsh and stiff clutch pedal so your leg won't go numb after a weekend of wheeling. Moreover, the clutch disk that we use is not made by an original equipment manufacture because we do not like the OEM Aisin disks which don't last as long, use plastic spring bosses, and have weaker springs than the disks we use.

Looking past my involvement as an employee, I've been a strong proponent of Marlin's clutches for more than a decade. I've wheeled rigs with stock clutches and I can say from personal experience that Marlin got it right when he designed our custom Rock Crawling clutch kit.

Food for thought,
BigMike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts