TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking to get a rear locker. I found a lock right that lists it as an 8 inch 30 spline, is this correct?

Also, what is different between that and the Powertrax no-slip?

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
And just to add to what Kyle said, the non-TRD rear diff has an 8.25" (sometimes erroneously stated as 8.4") ring gear. The TRD rear diff and the older, pre-Tacoma 4x4 rear diffs are 8". As for the spline count, I have no idea.

I have a lockright, but have no experience with the no slip. The difference between the two is that the no slip is supposed to have better street manners. Full-time, automatic lockers like that the lockright lock up both axles with the application of torque. So if you give it too much gas while turning a sharp corner, the tires will scrub with a lockright. Supposedly, the no slip helps lessen or prevent this from happening altogether. The other difference is that the lockright is less expensive than the no slip.

I remember reading in the old, delphi forum about some who've broken no slips, but I don't remember reading about anyone breaking a lockright unless they were running much bigger tires (38"?). However, the argument is that no slips break because of faulty install - whether that's true or not, I don't know. Hopefully someone with a no slip will chime in.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I have a no slip. I like the street manners of it(no clicking) and it was about 80-100 more than the Lockright. From what I've heard of breaking was the No Slip under 35"+ tires and a crawler box.

·
Old Timer
266 Posts
equin said:
And just to add to what Kyle said, the non-TRD rear diff has an 8.25" (sometimes erroneously stated as 8.4") ring gear. The TRD rear diff and the older, pre-Tacoma 4x4 rear diffs are 8". As for the spline count, I have no idea.

I have a lockright, but have no experience with the no slip. The difference between the two is that the no slip is supposed to have better street manners. Full-time, automatic lockers like that the lockright lock up both axles with the application of torque. So if you give it too much gas while turning a sharp corner, the tires will scrub with a lockright. Supposedly, the no slip helps lessen or prevent this from happening altogether. The other difference is that the lockright is less expensive than the no slip.

I remember reading in the old, delphi forum about some who've broken no slips, but I don't remember reading about anyone breaking a lockright unless they were running much bigger tires (38"?). However, the argument is that no slips break because of faulty install - whether that's true or not, I don't know. Hopefully someone with a no slip will chime in.

Hope this helps.
I have run the no slip for 70,000 miles. Mine broke on the original install because of a bad install (my fault :xcrybaby: ). I broke the sycronizing ear because it was not alinged and I forced the cross pin in. They shipped me a replacement part out and it has been good since :D . They are very quiet on the street with only an ocational pop, no clicking around corners like the lock right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts