TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yet another in the many build threads, thought i'd lend to the pool. main reason for doing one was cost, also putting the welder to use, still have to justify that purchase to my wife somehow :D

how it ended up

all said, spent about $550 on steel, heres what i got.

4'x8' sheet 10 gauge (1/8)
2'x4' sheet 3/16
2'x4' sheet 1/4
16' 2" .120 square
4' 1 1/2" .120 square
8' 1"x2" .120 rectangular
5' 1" .120 round

obviously way more than needed for a front bumper. the rest is for boxing my frame, and building a plate rear for me and my little sisters 97 taco, and some other miscellany.

had a tjm channel on there for about 2 years, but was tired of the hassle when i needed to pull it off, and it wasn't standing up too well to the abuse. i sold it to my sister (helped pay for steel, and now it's on her truck

of all the ways i could attach it, i decided i wanted to sleeve it through the frame horn for strength, 3/4 grade 8 bolt and 1" dom sleeve

1/4" plate for winch in the future

progress was painfully slow, i cut everything with a 7" worm drive, a chop saw and a 4 1/2" angle grinder. i am already saving towards a plasma, no way i'm doing that 2 or three more times.

next came turn signals. i used a lenox brand carbide tipped hole cutter, basically a shallow hole saw bit. worked well, and no worries of it walking

i came up with an idea of how i wanted to mount my lights. basically drilling countersunk holes to weld studs from the front

and then ground them smooth

now the lights are easily mounted and removed if i ever break any, and sit flush to the front face of the steel

so to break it down, mounts and winch plate are 1/4, top and front 1/8, and the lowest pieces angling back are 3/16

next came cutting in shackle mounts

ignore the crappy welds on the inside, i was so ready to be done with this thing, and was having issues with it warping

still wanted to add a receiver point, helped give a vent hole to the radiator and another recover point

also figure it adds strength in the middle of the bumper, had issues with the tjm getting bent in this area

belt sander is your friend

still needed to rework the body mounts where the bumper would bolt up to. i bought this truck with a rebuilt title and went through the process of plating the front frame rails where i repaired them, and had to cut off the old body mounts in the process and make my own. plenty strong for what they now are.

mounts done

heavyweight. speaking of, at around 110 pounds, it ain't light, which with my skids, and my 100 pound sliders, my 2.0 saws aren't liking. oh well, time to upgrade i guess

primed

painted

done.

lightforces are now mounted, the spare holes inside the turn signals are for hella micro fogs down the road. debated putting on a prerunner hoop, but think i'll spare the weight. i also still plan to drill some 2" holes left and right of the receiver hole, maybe 2 or 3 each side in a line for air flow and weight reduction. in an attempt to cut some weight, i drilled (2) 3" holes in each side of the mounts above the winch plate level, maybe spared myself 3 pounds :eek:

it is a very user friendly system however, only the (2) 3/4" bolts in the frame horns, and (2) 1/2" bolts in the side, can take it off and put it on in minutes, which i love after dealing with the last one - the best thing about making your own junk

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
Looks great!

An FYI for the winch, you may have to add holes on the bottom plate under the winch and clock the gear housing so the handle is accessable. I did this with my bumper, but I mounted mine "feet forward"

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
looks really good man!

seems familiar..

but much cheaper then what i paid haha
thanks on the compliment, and yeah, def borrowed from some popular designs, but hey, they are popular for a reason ;)
Looks great!

An FYI for the winch, you may have to add holes on the bottom plate under the winch and clock the gear housing so the handle is accessable. I did this with my bumper, but I mounted mine "feet forward"
thanks again man, appreciate all the advice, and certainly used your build as inspiration (admittedly kinda robbed from it :p). i figure i will for sure have to add a hole for the winch, still need to cut in for the fairlead too, and that 1/4 plate on the frame rails leaves zero room to get your hands in there for the clutch handle

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1 - 7 of 7 Posts