TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang, just looking for some confirmation that I'm on the right track here from the pros!

So I peeked behind the front wheels on my Taco the other day and noticed the stabilizer bar links on both sides were hosed:

Yay! This looks like a pretty easy fix, something I can do myself. My plan is to get replacement link ends for each side, this is pretty much the only thing I could find:

I'm also tempted to order a bushing kit from Wheelers, and replace the sway bar bushings (basically gone) and bumpstops while I'm at it, since they're shot to hell:

Seems like a slam dunk, am I on the right track here? Thanks for your help!!

Here's the FSM page if it helps anybody else who stumbles upon this thread looking for help.

·
Registered
181 Posts
That price looks pretty good. If my links were snapped off like yours, and I wanted to keep the sway bar connected I'd probably give the ones you posted a shot. I personally have been leaving my sway bar disconnected. I completely removed the links and tied the sway bar up with a piece of residential electrical wire.

Looks like you need to at a minimum pull those CV's and replace the inner boots! Atleast the grease keeps the rust away though:grin2: Been there man.

If your bumpstops are fubared I'd definitely replace them. Wheeler's Offroad has some more supple bumpstops than the poly ones for the lower control arms as well, but maybe they were just for the second gens?

Edit... Yeah second gens, FJ's, 4runners etc. https://wheelersoffroad.com/product/toyota/tundra-182669/2007-tundra/suspension-261954/miscellaneous-suspension-parts-24936/wheelers-front-superbump-bumpstop-set/

Just be careful getting the old bumpstops off... I remember being told by someone at Wheeler's years back that the bolts had a tendency to snap. Yours look like they have been getting cozy with the frame so the bolts might be a bit stressed.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info! I do a bit of light offroading in the Tahoe area, and occasional road trips; will probably keep the sway bar intact. Yeah I saw the grease coming out of that CV boot, gotta get to that before it gets worse!

·
Registered
153 Posts
$15 seems a little low for good quality links. But then again, I really don't know what good quality links look like.

Just before I broke my first line (the one on the passenger side) I heard a fairly loud pop. I was off-road at the time but certainly not beating the truck.

I replaced both links with Raybestos links (PN 5451441) that cost somewhere around $50-$60 for the pair. That was at 70,000 miles, and kept the original link from the driver's side. Then at 75,000 miles the new Raybestos link that I put on the driver's side broke so I replaced it with the original link that I had removed earlier. Then 2,800 miles later the passenger side link broke (again) so I replaced it with the other new Raybestos link and ordered a spare.

It takes me about a hour to replace a link once I roll the jack underneath the truck. YMMV.

The new spare came apart while I was fartin' around with it, but I did get it replaced for free. Then I put it back together, so now I have two new spare links.

The diameter of the links sure seem puny to me. They are only about 1/2 inch in diameter and I think that they should be at least 5/8 inch. The moral of my story is (1) don't bother buying links from the dealer 'cause they ain't any stronger than the aftermarket links and (2) replace both links at the same time, keeping the still-good :eek: link for a spare.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts