TTORA Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife is the principle driver of our '99 V6 Toyota (5spd).

Just over 100k original miles... The clutch has something wrong with it. It acts perfectly normal when I have driven it but my wife complained that the pedal "stuck to the floor" and she had to pull it up off the floor with her hand. I took it to the shop that has always worked on it and they could find nothing wrong. Wife got in it and drove about three blocks and it happened again. I got in it, it worked fine. We got home (~5 miles) and she was in tears "it happened again!"
I had told her NOT to pull it up with her hand if it happened again. So I got in and sure enough - the clutch pedal was about 1" off the floor. I pulled it up off the floor, and it resisted - it felt like it wasn't a mechanical bind from bent linkage or anything - more like I was pushing hydraulic fluid through a pinhole.
Is this a master cylinder problem, a clutch problem, throwout bearing, or something else?

Thanks for any help!

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,502 Posts
That is almost always caused by a bad seal in the clutch master cylinder. If your fluid in the clutch master is dark, that means it is contaminated with dirt and likely led to the seal failure. You should replace both the master and slave cylinder at the same time. If you are so inclined, Marlin Crawler offers a steel braided hydraulic hose upgrade which I recommend-

Make sure when you replace the master cylinder that you adjust the pedal linkage so you have freeplay in the pedal when the pedal is released.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts