TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever done an a/c compressor conversion to air compressor
Ive been told it can be done and I plan on doing it. Looking for advice or tips from people that have done it

Galaxy Note 2

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
9,051 Posts

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
9,051 Posts
anytime....

·
Registered
181 Posts
I used my stock toyota A/C compressor for an air compressor. Worked great for many years.
Without freon's built-in lubricant, I had to add compressor oil before any offroading trip to lengthen its life. Still, it burned out every few years, and had to replace it with another wrecking yard compressor (~$20). I could air up all 4 33" tires from 12psi to 32psi in about 5 minutes. Installed the usual stuff to make it all work ( 3-gal tank, pressure switch, pop-off valve, drain valve, pressure guage, etc).

·
Registered
358 Posts
I did one on a Ford Explorer. Very simple and when coupled with a 5 gallon air tank it worked awesome. Just make sure you use an oiler on the intake side of the compressor. With the lack of freon, there is nothing to lubricate the compressor.

Very high output on the Ford compressor. It had no trouble running an impact gun to remove a flat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great output, perhaps if you used a manual switch on the clutch they might last longer- unless you already did that. I have done this with the old york compressors on an old power wagon, and it worked great.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
I've done it with a couple of York AC compressors. I used an AC motor to make a quick air compressor for the garage. One was an air compressor and the other I set up as a vacuum pump.

The vacuum pump was a little tricky as it wanted to suck all the oil out of the crankcase. I put a seperator on the output and plumbed the bowl drain back to the crank case so it would recirculate the oil. It worked great and made lots of compressed air and pulled about a one bar rough vacuum which is all you can get from a mechanical pump.

York compressors are piston type and are getting harder to find so you might have to use a later model rotary vane pump. They make less pressure but more volume I think but I don't know that for sure.

The only trouble is finding room for it under your hood unless you want to sacrifice your AC or something. What with the AC, PS pump and such it's pretty tight under my hood so I went with an electric pump.

You could hook up the clutch with a pressure switch so it would disengage and not suck horsepower off the fan belt once your tanks are topped up.

You could use the same trick I did to keep the thing oiled. Put a moisture seperator on the compressed air pump output side and plumb the bowl drain back to the compressor input or vacuum side. That way the oil will recirculate and keep the vanes lubed. If you don't do something for oiling you'll ruin the pump for sure. You'd have to add a check valve and a restriction of some sort in the oil return line of course, otherwise you won't be able to build any pressure.

After the oil seperator I'd add another check valve and a water seperator.

An overpressure safety valve should be in the mix somewhere and a small gauge is always handy.

BTW the otherwise wasted space behind the rocker panels is a great place to put air tanks. I made my own using 4" Sch 80 PVC pipe and got about 2.5 gallons on each side for 5 total. Enough to seat a bead.

Anyone ever done an a/c compressor conversion to air compressor
Ive been told it can be done and I plan on doing it. Looking for advice or tips from people that have done it

Galaxy Note 2

1 - 9 of 9 Posts