TTORA Forum banner

a/c problem

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  '02 TACO HOLMES 
#1 ·
sometimes my a/c works perfect and other times it takes a few minutes of being on to actually work, and now its getting worse. the last few days its taking almost 20 minutes to turn on. when i turn the dial to turn it on, the motor revs up and makes all the noises it should when the a/c is gonna kick in, except no air. im not really sure what the deal is, so any help is appreciated.

oh yeah and twice it has turned on when i hit a bump. might not be related but its kinda odd that it worked.

thanks. oh and i searched and all i really got was rechargingthe system. thanks

#5 ·
nope i havent. cuz when it is on its still ice cold so i thought it was fine as far as the recharge
Does the blower work at all speeds? If not, the blower motor resistor block may be defective. Sometimes this works in conjunction with the a/c cycling. You might also be low on R134A and may need some oil in the system. The A/C system isn't a perfect system. Some freon will escape. I recommend yoou have your system checked. If you stated that your evaporator is ice cold then you might have a bad blower motor resistor block. This fairly easy to change. You can also check your the "sight glass". It is located in a trianglulated area where the radiator, battery, and drivers headlight meet. You can see the freon flowing through the system. This is indicate if your low on freon. Lots of bubbles = air in the system, Clear = low/no freon, clear few bubbles = system full charge. Alright, dude, I h:xbeer3: ope this helps you out

#6 ·
ok i havent been able to check anythign out yet, but it happened again when i started driving. the a/c didnt turn out... well no air came out but it seemed like everything else was on, and when i hit a speed bump it turned on as SOON as i hit it. so its the third time in a row that it worked. could that be a loose wire or a relay? i really need to look at it but the symptoms are wierd... or at least the way it turns back on is.

#7 ·
Huh?
Are you trying to say that when you turn on the blower fan and the a/c, that the engine revs up, but no air comes out of the vents, no matter what fan setting you are at? Then you need a new blower motor. If the blower blows out hot air for 20 minutes, then starts to get cold, you need the a/c system checked. The a/c makes the air cold, but the blower pushes the air out the dash. So which system is not working?

#8 ·
half the time it works perfect, but sometimes when i try to turn on the a/c the motor revs up and it all sounds good but no air comes out. when the air does come out its cold as usual. its been kinda wierd because it its not working and i hit a bump kinda hard it kicks on.

#9 ·
The BLOWER motor is controled by a Resistor Block. It controls all the different speeds of the fan. It is located near the blower motor on the passenger side feet area.

Does your blower motor work at all speeds? No, check the resistor block.

If it does, then does the compressor cycle off/on at idle speed? No, then have your system checked.

Check your fuse and/or A/C relay.

The A/C systems is not a hard system to understand.

#10 ·
I don't know where the risistor block that HOLMES mentioned is, but I'd check that and all connections. My fan has been making squeals and other noises and I think I may have to replace it pretty soon. Maybe just to shut it up.

#11 · (Edited)
Blower Motor Resistor Block

Location is:

1) REMOVE GLOVE COMPARTMENT PARTS
2) REMOVE BLOWER RESISTOR CONNECTOR
3) PULL OUT THE RESISTOR BLOCK AND CHECK THE COILS FOR ANY BURNT/SHORTS.
4) BLOWER RESISTOR RESISTANCE If resistance is not as specified, replace the blower resistor.

CHECK THE ATTACHMENTS... HOLLA BACK FOR INFO

DAVID

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.