TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My A/C went out on my 1997 Taco, and the mechanic says it's the radiator behind the firewall or inside the dash? does any1 know how to replace that part? Maybe send me a how-to link or something.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Thought I might jump in with something related, sometimes I get a squeek when I have the a/c or heat on (fans in general). It sounds like it is coming from inside the dash and it goes in and out sometimes stopping. What the hell is up with that, anyone I have talked to (and I probably agree) has said it is way more trouble than it is worth to fix it because I would have to take apart the dash. Any comments on that one?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Might be your blower motor. Mine got kind of noisy and eventually quit working. Simple to replace...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My problem with the a/c, started with a squeaking noise and just died on me after about 6 months. When I took it to the mechanic shop, they ran some freon and white smoke came out through the vents. So, there is no such thing as a radiator inside the dash? I guess I'll go to another mechanic and get a better idea of what part needs to be replaced.

thanks!

·
Administrator
18,271 Posts
97tacoshop said:
My problem with the a/c, started with a squeaking noise and just died on me after about 6 months. When I took it to the mechanic shop, they ran some freon and white smoke came out through the vents. So, there is no such thing as a radiator inside the dash? I guess I'll go to another mechanic and get a better idea of what part needs to be replaced.

thanks!
HELLO??? Did you even read my last post? Its called the evaporator (the radiator type thingie :rolleyes: ) and thats probably not the problem. Go back and re-read my post and read the posts in the link I attached.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, I will go to the a/c tech guys and let them work their magic. It just didn't seem right when that guy said radiator in the dash. so, I'd knew I came to the right place (tacomaterritory) to get a better opinion.

thanks for all of your help!

and yes I have read all reply's and links.

·
Administrator
18,271 Posts
97tacoshop said:
ok, I will go to the a/c tech guys and let them work their magic. It just didn't seem right when that guy said radiator in the dash. so, I'd knew I came to the right place (tacomaterritory) to get a better opinion.
The tech is making a best guess based on what typically fails. On most vehicles, when you get freon out the vents, that means the evaporator has a leak in it. However, the Toyota evaporators are really good and don't fail that often. In the earlier model Tacomas, they have that suction tube with a poor design that cracks. Since the crack develops just after the evaporator, most incorrectly assume the evaporator is the problem. I've still got the stock evaporator but replaced the tubes 3 times over. Thats why I say its the tubes and not the evaporator.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts