TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i did some searching and i saw some informative threads on what are the best sounding exhausts. now my question is what exhausts give the best gains in hp and torque. i know none of them make big gains but i still like to know whats an all around best buy. much thanks.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Make your own exhaust. It's cheaper and then you can do whatever you want. Keep in mind, when you install a better flowing exhaust, you're going to see the gains in the upper end of the power band. I gained 11 horse on the dyno running no exhaust after the cat.

Also, are you a V6 or I4?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Here's an example of how cheap you can build your own exhaust;

Get the right flange so it's a true bolt on cat back; ($2.00)

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ProductDisplay/s-10101/p-921/c-10101

Then pick up some exhaust pipe. 7 feet should be more than enough; ($15.99)

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ProductDisplay/c-10101/s-10101/p-174340/mediaCode-ZX/appId-384577

Now you'll need a couple of 45 degree mandrel bends. How many depends on where you want the tip to come out. You'll need at least one to clear the axle. ($10 ea.)

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ProductDisplay/c-10101/s-10101/p-219766/mediaCode-ZX/appId-385190

Now you need to choose a muffler. This is where you'll spend the most money. If you want to go with a fancy Flowmaster or Magnaflow then expect to pay. These type of mufflers will run anywhere from $80 to $120.

Summit racing has a good assortment and prices.

To make it bolt right in like it was from the factory, get some steel dowel to make the exhaust hangers. Since you'll be bending them yourself you can make it fit perfect.

Steel dowel is pretty cheap, I bought 10 feet of 7/16" diameter for $5 at the scrap yard.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
thanks guys, its a v6. sorry i left that out. 2004 v6 4x4 xtra. making my own exhaust sounds like a good idea. doesnt really matter where it exits i guess maybe out the right side like the stock. thanks for all the help. sorry one more thing i forgot, will all this pass emissions? i live in houston so it has to. thanks again.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hey bro, no emissions concerns at all if you only modify the exhaust after the cat. I have mine waiting to go together back home when I return from Kuwait. I am going to have mine exit after the leaf spring, directly underneath the corner of the bed where the tail lights are.

One thing I left out, you'll need a new O2 bung also for the new exhaust pipe. It's $2.50 for one plus $1.75 for two new studs/nuts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
3 Participants
akshunj
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing