TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
here's a pic of how to combat the issue of shock tower mount bolts spinning (very useful if you're a locktight nut).

i can post pic directly in the thread, but i'm not sure if we are allowed to.....

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
cvajs said:
here's a pic of how to combat the issue of shock tower mount bolts spinning (very useful if you're a locktight nut).

i can post pic directly in the thread, but i'm not sure if we are allowed to.....
why not put the bolt head in place then tack the bolt so it cant move?

·
Banned
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
DesertTRD said:
why not put the bolt head in place then tack the bolt so it cant move?
heat stress, then the bolts shear yield will be affected, so i don't weld them. a little "wiggle" room on thread side is good to have. and, all parts can be re-used, say if you strip a bolt or break it no need to get out the grinder and welder again. i thought this was a cleaner way.....

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
cvajs said:
heat stress, then the bolts shear yield will be affected, so i don't weld them. a little "wiggle" room on thread side is good to have. and, all parts can be re-used, say if you strip a bolt or break it no need to get out the grinder and welder again. i thought this was a cleaner way.....
heat stress on a tack? yea right...

I help prep race trucks and we do this all the time, we also tack the heads of the bolts on prerunners to keep people from unbolting and steeling stuff, its also a great way to prevent problems if a nut falls off, this way the bolt cant fall out without breaking the tack first...

·
Banned
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
DesertTRD said:
heat stress on a tack? yea right...

I help prep race trucks and we do this all the time, we also tack the heads of the bolts on prerunners to keep people from unbolting and steeling stuff, its also a great way to prevent problems if a nut falls off, this way the bolt cant fall out without breaking the tack first...
on the metallurgy side, yes, heat stress will affect the shear strength, even with just tacks. however, in this application (and yours) i'm sure it's fine, i just went for the "cleaner" way.

and my other reasons:
cvajs said:
... a little "wiggle" room on thread side is good to have. and, all parts can be re-used, say if you strip a bolt or break it no need to get out the grinder and welder again...

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
cvajs said:
on the metallurgy side, yes, heat stress will affect the shear strength, even with just tacks. however, in this application (and yours) i'm sure it's fine, i just went for the "cleaner" way.

and my other reasons:
adding a clump of metal by welding is cleaner? sounds the same to me.

and yes i can see a stress issue if i was pulling on teh bolt,but its not, its a side load which means teh head doesnt actually see the stress the center of teh bolt does.

·
Banned
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DesertTRD said:
adding a clump of metal by welding is cleaner? sounds the same to me.

and yes i can see a stress issue if i was pulling on teh bolt,but its not, its a side load which means teh head doesnt actually see the stress the center of teh bolt does.
cleaned, buffed, primed, and painted. finished product was nice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts