TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3.5 fabtech lift now. And basicaly what it all comes down to is if I want to go higher then that, say 6 inch. Then I have to switch to manual hubs, to save the cb joints. Correct? Or is there a way to keep the automatice 4wd button and get a 6 inch lift? :confused:

·
Registered
51 Posts
you can get a 3" body lift and use your coilovers for close to 6" of lift or a drop down bracket lift like the 6" trailmaster or 6" fabtech to get your 6 inches

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
Passhawk said:
I have a 3.5 fabtech lift now. And basicaly what it all comes down to is if I want to go higher then that, say 6 inch. Then I have to switch to manual hubs, to save the cb joints. Correct? Or is there a way to keep the automatice 4wd button and get a 6 inch lift? :confused:
If you go with either the Fabtech or TrailMaster 6" lift, you won't have to switch to manual hubs. And as was mentioned already, you could also do a 3" body lift with your current Fabtech coilovers, which obviously wouldn't require you switching your hubs either.

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
Passhawk said:
So why do some people change to manual hubs?
With ADD, the CV's are turning whenever the truck is rolling, which means the CV boots are turning, and things are wearing out. When people lift the front, that increases the rate of wear. With manual hubs, when they're not locked, the CV's aren't turning all the time, so they don't wear as much/quickly. The primary wear issue is with the CV boots, rather than the CV's themselves, and is accelerated even more with lifts above about 2.5".

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Passhawk said:
So why do some people change to manual hubs?
You're confusing drop bracket lifts with suspension lifts. Drop bracket lifts maintain "stock" suspension geometry (they lower your front diff in relation to the frame), while suspension lifts alter suspension geometry (by pushing your a-arms down and stressing CV's).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So if I get a fabtech or trailmasater 6 inch lift, or a 3 inch body lift since I already have a 3.5 inch fabtech lift now. Then the rate of my cv joint boots wearing down and breaking will rise. Right?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Passhawk said:
So if I get a fabtech or trailmasater 6 inch lift, or a 3 inch body lift since I already have a 3.5 inch fabtech lift now. Then the rate of my cv joint bushings will rise. Right?
No, the only one of those things that will increase the stress on your CV's is the lift you already have... Your suspension has nothing to do with the body, and drop bracket lifts maintain your current suspension geometry (i.e. CV angles).

·
Registered
199 Posts
Passhawk said:
So if I get a fabtech or trailmasater 6 inch lift, or a 3 inch body lift since I already have a 3.5 inch fabtech lift now. Then the rate of my cv joint boots wearing down and breaking will rise. Right?
no. a drop bracket as mentioned above, will not change your suspension geomentry from what it is now. a drop bracket moves the whole front suspension down, therefore not changing cv angles.

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
Passhawk said:
Thanks , so which do you recomend? the 6 inch fabtech or trailmaster. Or an addition 3 inch body raise?
That all depends on your budget, your needs, etc. What kind of wheeling will you be doing, if any? How often?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No budget. I understand the 6 inch fabtech or trailmaster is more expencive way to go to give more play and all that. I am slowley wheeling more often, and I dont see me slowing down either. But I dont want to be stoped by anything if my lift isnt big enouph.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Fabtech vs trailmaster

I have had a trailmaster 6" suspension on my 1996 tacoma for three years and have blown one strut after another faster than I could replace them. I am having it removed and replaced with the fabtec. I was advised by a mgr at a reputable off road shop that many have had good luck with the trailmaster but there are a number that continually blow out the struts. That is the fate I had.

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
Passhawk said:
No budget. I understand the 6 inch fabtech or trailmaster is more expencive way to go to give more play and all that. I am slowley wheeling more often, and I dont see me slowing down either. But I dont want to be stoped by anything if my lift isnt big enouph.
Okay, but again, what type of wheeling will you be doing? Desert running? Rock crawling? Dirt trails? Mudding?

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
petrolv said:
I have had a trailmaster 6" suspension on my 1996 tacoma for three years and have blown one strut after another faster than I could replace them. I am having it removed and replaced with the fabtec. I was advised by a mgr at a reputable off road shop that many have had good luck with the trailmaster but there are a number that continually blow out the struts. That is the fate I had.
Were you replacing the struts with the TrailMaster struts or Gabriel replacements?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts