TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to make something clear about the runs for AZRocks. If you do not have a solid front axle, front locker, sliders and at least one front tow point. You will not be running difficult trials with the rest of the group. IE: Axle Alley, Highway to Hell... On Highway to Hell, If you cannot except body damage DON'T RUN IT! If you can get threw H2H without body damage, You will be the first in a Tacoma to do it. The Arizona chapter views difficult trails in a different way then the rest of the country. Our difficult trails in other people opinions are extremely difficult. If you think I am wrong, just ask any of the California guys that were at the last AZRocks.

This goes for all trails, If you do not have the minimum requirements for the trails you signed up for you will not be permitted to run these trails PERIOD! Trail leaders will be inspecting rigs before each run to make sure you meet the requirements for each trail. If you don't have these you will be instructed to run a easier trail that your rig is equipt to run.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
I've noticed that different regions use different trail rating systems. Here in CA we use the 1-10 scale. For a 10 rated trail, we require at least 33" tires and one locker, don't be sad if you get body damage.

From what I recall, in AZ people prefer the 1-5 rating method, with a 5 rated trail being pretty much impassable. I've run Axle Alley before, and you pretty much need two lockers, lots of articulation, big tires, and a winch.

I saw talk on another message board about someone with a prerunner and a winch attempting Axle Alley, all I have to say is I hope I am in front of you, and don't expect me to come back to help! I got stuck on that fucking trail all night last time.

Later,
....Mike

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike we use a 1-5+ scale. For example, We rate Axle Alley as a strong 4 or a light 5. Highway to hell is a 5, But passable in a SFA Tacoma locked front and rear with protection, But if you cannot except body damage you better not run it. For a 5+ trail you better have a full on rock buggy!

We want everyone to enjoy this event, But we cannot have some yahoo thinking that he is IFS core and can get threw any trails a SFA Taco can. Even though he might make it eventually. He will hold up the rest of the group in doing so and make the event not so enjoyable for the rest of the people on the trail. I'm sure you want to run more trails then the last time. This is why we are going to be strict on this.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BTW if anyone has any questions on runs and what trails you may want to do just ask. Let me know what your rig has (lockers,winch, tires, sliders ect) and I will let you know what you can run.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Crash said:
Mike we use a 1-5+ scale. For example, We rate Axle Alley as a strong 4 or a light 5. Highway to hell is a 5, But passable in a SFA Tacoma locked front and rear with protection, But if you cannot except body damage you better not run it. For a 5+ trail you better have a full on rock buggy!

We want everyone to enjoy this event, But we cannot have some yahoo thinking that he is IFS core and can get threw any trails a SFA Taco can. Even though he might make it eventually. He will hold up the rest of the group in doing so and make the event not so enjoyable for the rest of the people on the trail. I'm sure you want to run more trails then the last time. This is why we are going to be strict on this.
I don't think you should restrict runs based on IFS/SFA, but you should definitely take a look at the rigs and make sure they are capable for the trails they will be running.

Last year we had some IFS rigs on the Rubicon trip that did really well! Sometimes it's more about driver skill than money spent on rig mods!

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
451 Posts
Crash said:
You wont be alone!
I didn't see h2h on the choosing list, but everyone knows me as the "I want to do that" guy........Is there going to be az peeps doing all the available hard runs ie: 4 and 5 rated runs, .........ok ok, I'll back off the 5+ ;)

SAS front-44, SAS rear-60, locked front/rear, sliders, bumpers, winch, crawler, gears, 37's, and a cool lil breather...

·
Registered
451 Posts
btw, kudos to you Dan for giving a heads up on the trails and your rating system, I've never wheeled down there, and it's good to know, but I also recognize that most people in the club are still pretty new and really don't know what trails they are equipped for or ready for..........they have good intentions, but eyes become bigger than their stomach.......and agree with Mike on IFS vs. SFA.......there are definitely peeps that know how to drive w/ IFS........anyway, kudos!

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not really sure if anybody is going to run h2h. That is one of the trails that will just happen, If it happens at all. With your setup you should have no problem running axle alley though. I understand that some IFS guys can really wheel. Hell my vice president was running trials like Martinez stock for a long time, But just from knowing the trails and how much harder it is for a IFS truck to run some of these trails. That is why we are going to keep all the harder runs SAS only.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
458 Posts
Mike said:
I don't think you should restrict runs based on IFS/SFA
Yah we should... Just because you are lance armstrong doesn't mean you should bring a tricycle to race in the Tour de France ;) Driver skill definately plays a major role. Those that were IFS that night on axle alley handled it very well, however, much of the _effort_ needed to get through that trail was spent on the IFS. Yeah I broke an axle shaft, and so did ronn, but there was no effort spent watching us fix our junk, just time. But when you get someone that is so hung up that you have to stack rocks until the trail is paved, hi-lift and winch them, unstack rocks, then yeah, they don't belong on that trail. That goes for anyone with a solid axle as well. Just because you have a jeep doesn't mean that you can run any trail imaginable. There are trails that my truck is not capable on (its a wheelbase thing) and that I won't run. I've seen trails that have rocks so big that they swallow 37"+ tires like cheerios.

I saw it mentioned somewhere in this thread I think, that we are all out there to have a good time. Spending hours stacking/unstacking rocks to get a truck through a trail is not fun.. For anyone. Expecially those that are driving 12+ hours to get here...

Do you really think that an IFS rig even stands a chance on this trail? ;)
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=327306

See ya at AZRocks mike!
shane

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
gambrinus said:

See ya at AZRocks mike!
shane
Holy crap! I'm thinking even a nice solid axle Tacoma would suffer massive carnage on that trail.

Axle Alley is about the hardest trail I want to run that far from home. I'm hoping to do more wheeling this time, and check out some scenery.

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Yeah... and I broke my junk trying to help one of those IFS rigs through the trail. I had already gotten to the top of that first waterfall and had to turn around to help the IFS.

:(

That was almost $1000 for me to fix my junk just because I had to help. :(

Yogi

gambrinus said:
Yah we should... Just because you are lance armstrong doesn't mean you should bring a tricycle to race in the Tour de France ;) Driver skill definately plays a major role. Those that were IFS that night on axle alley handled it very well, however, much of the _effort_ needed to get through that trail was spent on the IFS. Yeah I broke an axle shaft, and so did ronn, but there was no effort spent watching us fix our junk, just time. But when you get someone that is so hung up that you have to stack rocks until the trail is paved, hi-lift and winch them, unstack rocks, then yeah, they don't belong on that trail. That goes for anyone with a solid axle as well. Just because you have a jeep doesn't mean that you can run any trail imaginable. There are trails that my truck is not capable on (its a wheelbase thing) and that I won't run. I've seen trails that have rocks so big that they swallow 37"+ tires like cheerios.

I saw it mentioned somewhere in this thread I think, that we are all out there to have a good time. Spending hours stacking/unstacking rocks to get a truck through a trail is not fun.. For anyone. Expecially those that are driving 12+ hours to get here...

See ya at AZRocks mike!
shane

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I disagree... We had 3 IFS truck try and run Axle Alley... They each had different setups. All had driver skill... and it still took a bunch of work from the solid axle guys to get them through the trails. I think At AZ rocks we want for everybody to have fun... It was not that much fun fighting to get those rigs through the trail and breaking our own stuff just so they can have fun. Dont get me wrong... I dont mind helping out once in a while to stack a rock or give a tug with the strap... But there are soem trails that people should not be on, or their rigs. Axle Alley has some nasty stuff that you have to winch, and there are no bypasses.

You'll See!

Yogi

BlingTaco said:
btw, kudos to you Dan for giving a heads up on the trails and your rating system, I've never wheeled down there, and it's good to know, but I also recognize that most people in the club are still pretty new and really don't know what trails they are equipped for or ready for..........they have good intentions, but eyes become bigger than their stomach.......and agree with Mike on IFS vs. SFA.......there are definitely peeps that know how to drive w/ IFS........anyway, kudos!

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Well for what it's worth, as far as I am concerned, this event it run by the AZ peeps so they make the rules and that is that, period, end of discussion. These trails are very different from most Cali trails, well outside of Johnson Valley anyway, and different from Moab trails too. They have one hell of a lot more experence with their local trails and what kind of Tacoma can reasonably be expected to run them than anyone else. That's just plain ole common sense folks. And that is the end of that story.

Obey the rules or be left in the woods. Errrr ahhhh, amoung the rocks and cacti, I mean desert, yeah that's it, the desert. And then you will die from lack of beer and see mirages and shit like that you've seen in movies and westerns and we don't what that to happen. Now do we? LOL

·
Registered
451 Posts
Geeeez guys, I'm getting all warm and fuzzy inside about this run........I'm actually a bit nervous......Now I'm REALLY looking forward to this event!!! THere's been a lot of build up for these trails and from the pictures I'm seeing, Johnson valley would be the best comparison, which means I'm in for a FANTASTIC time down there. JV is my favorite place to wheel next to Moab, so it's good to see a TTORA event where there will be some serious challenge...........Rock on, Can't wait!!

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Yeah but I think they have you down for those easy trails the first two days and a medium the third. See it works like this, the folks who broke major hard parts type shit in Moab like you did, have to start easy and work their way back up the chain. LOL

·
Registered
451 Posts
Dick Foster said:
Yeah but I think they have you down for those easy trails the first two days and a medium the third. See it works like this, the folks who broke major hard parts type shit in Moab like you did, have to start easy and work their way back up the chain. LOL

well ya see, I'm the instructor.....I'm here to help show you what not to do :flipoff3:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts