TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after almost 4 years of towing for a business I think my A/T didn't like my last wheeling trip. It still shifts and I can still chirp the tires off the line but now it shifts like a Singer sewing machine. It shifts really smooth and it might be slipping a little at times but I can't really tell. Just not sure. My question is do you guys think my trans is toast or will an IPT valve body cure my ill?

History: The trans has had regular maintenance (as far as I know) and I added a cooler just this year. When I got the truck the fluid definately needed a change but it was still red just too dark for my taste. As far as I know it has always had Amsoil ATF in it.

Thankyou for your time.

·
Registered
772 Posts
What gear is it slipping? The 1-2 shift? Hard to say if it's bad or not based on the information you provided. How much do you tow with it?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Wallygator said:
Well after almost 4 years of towing for a business I think my A/T didn't like my last wheeling trip. It still shifts and I can still chirp the tires off the line but now it shifts like a Singer sewing machine. It shifts really smooth and it might be slipping a little at times but I can't really tell. Just not sure. My question is do you guys think my trans is toast or will an IPT valve body cure my ill?

History: The trans has had regular maintenance (as far as I know) and I added a cooler just this year. When I got the truck the fluid definately needed a change but it was still red just too dark for my taste. As far as I know it has always had Amsoil ATF in it.

Thankyou for your time.

ahh......flush & replace the ATF & change the filter.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
Does it need to chirp the tires off the line anyways? It's a truck, not a sports car...

Anyways, can't really say much till the fluid gets pulled. If the fluid smells burnt, don't even bother with a flush, it's already toast.

There is no filter on the A/T Tranny, it's just a screen in the oil pan...

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Sounds a little like the torque converter isn't locking up as it should. IPT will test out the solenoids on the valve body when they do the VB mod but I'm not sure what controls the TC lock-up. I general the VB mod is to keep damage from happening in the first place, not to fix a problem after you trashed it.

Are you SCed?

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Mine is shifting a little too smoothly also. Recently, it started slipping while in O/D. It was strange when going up freeway grades it would start jolting slightly. It was like the transmission should have been shifting out of O/D or at least unlocking the TC but instead kept trying to power the truck and slipping. I had the problem for about a month then it just went away. Strange...

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interex said:
Mine is shifting a little too smoothly also. Recently, it started slipping while in O/D. It was strange when going up freeway grades it would start jolting slightly. It was like the transmission should have been shifting out of O/D or at least unlocking the TC but instead kept trying to power the truck and slipping. I had the problem for about a month then it just went away. Strange...
It's really not slipping in any one gear it just shifts really smooth. It didn't shift like this before the thrashing I put it through, LOL.

Hey Norcal no shit it's a truck, I'm not looking for sports car performance, I just was looking for opinions on why it is shifting so smooth and whether or not a VB job could correct the situation. The fluid is brand new Amsoil ATF and is not burnt. It's nice and red and smells new.

Thank you every one for your suggestions, I'm going to have someone check it out before I plop down the cash for a VB.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
NorcalPR said:
Does it need to chirp the tires off the line anyways? It's a truck, not a sports car...

Anyways, can't really say much till the fluid gets pulled. If the fluid smells burnt, don't even bother with a flush, it's already toast.

There is no filter on the A/T Tranny, it's just a screen in the oil pan...
On my A/T there is a filter within the pan that can be changed. I changed it at about 80k.

As far as the tranny shifting weird, thats hard to say. I think A/Ts are just so tempermental and unique to each truck and each driver and their memory of how they think it shifts.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RaideRNatioN said:
On my A/T there is a filter within the pan that can be changed. I changed it at about 80k.

As far as the tranny shifting weird, thats hard to say. I think A/Ts are just so tempermental and unique to each truck and each driver and their memory of how they think it shifts.
Raider, I think you so right about the drivers memory of how it shifts. Damn computerized A/T's. I don't think the computer liked the beating I gave that thing. I just moved so I haven't had time to take it in to get it checked out. I'll post back soon.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Drive it until it breaks.. lol. That's my motto on mine nowadays Mine shifts retarded under WOT but I contribute that to S/C'er. I never did do the valve body modifications as recommended by Gadget. Probably too late now, so I'll live with the fact that I could have some expensive tranmission repairs in the future. I've been looking for a reason to buy something else anyhow.... :p

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I finally was able to take it in and my local trans guy told me how to adjust my throttle pressure (thanks knuckleduster). It seems with the offroad thrashing I put it through I stretched out the throttle pressure cable. LOL! Well I adjusted it and it shifts like new again. Thankyou to everyone who replied with advice and suggestions on this, you were all very helpful. :)

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
Why, just remove a line, stick it in the bucket, turn on and put in gear and let it dump out fluid while you add in fluid. Keep goin till you get new fluid.

FYI, there is no filter on the tranny. It's just a screen. The screen never really has to be replaced...

·
Registered
176 Posts
It only happens after a fast stop... I'll stop slower from now on... :) Thankfully, there's been no snow to plow this year... so far...

A repair shop would LOVE to have me come in...

• Broken exhaust manifold
    No Heat
    Leaking oil pan gasket
    Tranny drips
    3 torn CV boots
    O2 sensors "pipe-band strapped" on
    original timing belt and all other engine compartment items excluding alt..
Original muffler is still good though... :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
10 Participants
99tacx
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing