TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone on here run A/T on front wheels and M/T on rear wheels? will this screw anything up if they are the same size? Ive seen it done a lot and just wondering if its bad for the truck

·
Registered
71 Posts
if you a 4x4 make sure they are the same size. I think you have a 2wd if so you don't even need to match frt/rr tire size. if you follow these rules it won't do anything to the truck.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya im a prerunner check my sig;)
since its just the rear wheels pushing the car, M/T in front wouldnt do much except look nicer. Just tryin to save a few bucks

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Get A/T's all around. I like the muds for the acceleration the give WHEN UP TO SPEED, but getting there in sand is...interesting and you could risk getting stuck only being 2WD. The A/T's will float a bit better on top of the sand layer, you won't get as good high speed acceleration, but at least you won't dig in. Plus it's stock so you're not going to be going breakneck speeds anyways. :2cents:

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
does anyone on here run A/T on front wheels and M/T on rear wheels? will this screw anything up if they are the same size? Ive seen it done a lot and just wondering if its bad for the truck
I debated the same topic when I was a PreRunner. It was actually suggested to me on a run when I first got my truck.

I would say that you'd look retarded if you ran that setup on the street but as far as on the trails, you'd have MUCH better traction than running just A/T's in the rear.

My suggestion - Keep 2 agressive M/T's (maybe even swampers) as an off-road set. When you go wheeling, slap the M/T's on the back.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Is the cost that much of an issue? I can't imagine getting 2 MTs vs ATs all that more expensive. Maybe $80-100 and that's being generous. When I was shopping for my tires, some ATs were more expensive than MTs.. Just run all 4 of your choice.

·
Registered
473 Posts
yeah

Just get A/T's. M/T's may have a bit of an advantage in the mud, and a small advantage on the average rocky crap, but if you ever touch the sand, you'll want A/T's. They are just better all around.

·
Registered
597 Posts
i would just get the ats if you are two wheel drive then the mts on in the mud and rocks and stuff wont help you all that much compared to the AT's if the at's are cheaper than the mt's you are lookin at you could save even more money too basically all the stuff that mts would help you in wont help all that much since you are 2wd, sand they dig til you hit seashells(only sand for me is at the beach :D ) and if you are in the mud they will just sling you back end all over the place and the heaviest part of your vehicle (the front) will just sink, and in the snow/ ice i think at's are better less slipping unless it is real real deep snow then mts will help but then again you are 2wd so your front wheels will just slow you down again

get at's all around

·
Registered
215 Posts
man its not an over-the-road truck where you need to run "steering" tires up front and "traction" tires in the rear. just use the same all around.

Jason

·
Registered
883 Posts
just get one or the other. i cant believe just because u want to save a few bucks, ur gonna ruin the look of ur truck. also, think about when you want to rotate your tires, then u'll have at's in the back and the mts in the front!!!

·
Registered
682 Posts
You can add a mod to your sig: The "I can't ever rotate my fucking tires mod." Where have you seen this done? A sandrail? Some hillbilly '71 F-250 2wd with load of firewood in the bed?

But seriously, why? It's a truck, and probably your DD, I can guarantee that there will be very few positive aspects to running your tires like that.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yeah, not rotating would probelby fry the fronts before wearing out the rear and you'd loose any price advantage...

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
ha this weekend i did that for about id says 3 hours of driving
from walmart to 4wheel parts in marriate to the one in norcross
the trucks SWAYED SOOO BAD if i jerked the wheel
granted the front where 31x10.5 at
the rear 32.11.5 mt but still
go one or nother
but i got the new wheel and tires on after i got back from 4wheel parts i like me alot!

·
Registered
572 Posts
I've got a 4500 mile road trip coming up - traveling in AZ, CA, NV, OR, WA, ID, MT, WY, and UT.

When I put on a set of MT/R's in Feb, my MPG dropped from 18.5 to 16.3 - a big change from the BFG M/T's.

Since I have two spare A/T's mounted, I did a test to see if I could get at least some of the lost economy back. In addition to swapping out front tires, I removed the Yakima rack and changed to all synthetic fluids (diff, transfer, and motor oil).

On a 220 mile highway test my mileage went up to 20.7 MPG.

So, I don't much care if it doesn't look cool...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts