TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up

I've read through tons of threads and have concluded that an AAL is my option right now for my bed sag. I have done tons of hauling and it's taken its toll. I would love to put a set of new springs on but I'm broke.

I'm new to Vermont and have no connections.
I just called up a local suspension guy who wants to charge me 250 to install a leaf. That sounds pricey to me.

What is a fair price to pay. I don;t have any tools whatsoever to get the job done myself.
Does anyone on this forum live in Vermont who can help me?
Any advice?
Suggestions on where I can get the work done?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,569 Posts
Welcome to TTORA! :)

$250 seems steep to install an AAL. Best bet would be for somebody in your area to chime in and provide some help. I'd help you out, but I'm a bit far away....in Phoenix! :eek:

Good luck, I'm sure somebody will help you out..that's the great part about the group!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for replying so quickly

I've been on this forum for years as an avid lurker.
I love this forum. It's helped me out plenty. I only wish I could contribute something useful. I'm very meachanicly challenged.
I'm no crawler. Just a camper who like to get of the beaten track.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
You shouldn't have to pay more than $100 to do that job. Don't attempt it if you are mechanically challenged. A good wrench could do the install in 1.5 hours.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm In jersey but I'm in VT just about everyother weekend for skiing. My friends live in brandon, vt and work at Sugarbush and Pico. Think my skiing is done for the winter but if you wanted to make the trek here I would be more than willing to help. I live in W. Long Branch, NJ and would be willing to help w/ the job for say a lift ticket and someone to ski with.
Ken

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have also got an awesome shop here in NJ to make things easy. Let Me Know.
Ken

·
Registered
646 Posts
Where abouts in VT are you? Most of us guys from the NE board are from Mass so southern vt isnt that far of a drive (I live on the VT, MA, NH border). Check out http://forum.neow.net/ there are people all over the north east on that board.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey thanks for the offer

I'm a Jerseyboy myself. South Jersey though , a whole different world.

Right now Im living in Burlington,VT and loving it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Finally another Vermonter!!!!! Essex Junction here!! Sorry i can;t be more help as of yet, I will call some people. Did you happen to call the 4x4 center?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What's up

Not a true Vermonter but definitely loving it up here. I just moved here last July so I have no idea where to go get the AAL.
I actually got the price quoto from a place in Essex Junction right at 5 corners.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'n not native either, moved up here 8 years ago from CT. I know of the place you are talking about at 5 corners, there are many other places around, I will aid you in finding one!!!!

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
1.5 hours? you stopping in the middle and downing a few or what? With a set of 4 jack stands, a floor jack and a wrench or two (oops almost forgot the C clamps) you should be able to have both sides done within an hour.

someone less experienced than you though maybe an hour or two is within reason.:D

to the O.P If you have a harbor freight around you to pick up the jack stands from (cheap but functional) I would think for less than the $250 you were quoted, you could buy the tools and the Pro comp AALs and do the job yourself. To me that would be a good investment because after the job you still own the tools for your growing tool inventory.

·
Registered
181 Posts
roadtrip said:
Hey thanks for the offer

I'm a Jerseyboy myself. South Jersey though , a whole different world.
X2. Long Beach Island, and Manahawkin for me growing up.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Bear said:
to the O.P If you have a harbor freight around you to pick up the jack stands from (cheap but functional) I would think for less than the $250 you were quoted, you could buy the tools and the Pro comp AALs and do the job yourself. To me that would be a good investment because after the job you still own the tools for your growing tool inventory.
Yeah, you'd be surprised at what you can do yourself with the right tools and some research. Plus you become less and less at the mercy of people who want to shake your pockets out upside down.

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
yea! I never claimed to be the most mechanically inclined person around, but a lot of this stuff is within everyones' capablilities if they just put a little thought and effort into it.

I find myself, many times now tackling projects I once thought was out of reason for me to do. just because I now know I can figure things out,even if I don't have exerience with the particular problem. The only thing that still scares me is the ECU's I have no way of figuring out what controls what ( in laimens terms)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yeah I hear ya
and someday I plan to do my own work
But first I need to buy a house with at least a driveway and hopefully a garage.
I've been a city boy way to long.
Right now I'd be jacking my truck up on a residental street where all my neighbors can watch and laugh. No thanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts