TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor asked me a question I was not sure of the answer... Can you put two AAL on each side safely and gain any thing from it? I told him you could put them in but did not know about if you would gain anything. Did a search but did not find anything on this. I do not think it would really add anything with the second AAL.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Well in my theory it would actually keep the rear end from sagging quite as much. If you think about it one aal will rasie it a couple inches, but that leaf still flattens out some. A second one will keep the first one from flattening out and you will get the thickness of leafs themselves, prolly a half inch from 2. I just put aal on mine, and it rides good, but i figure with 2 aals it will probably be unbearible

·
Registered
264 Posts
I don't see why you "couldn't" do it. It probably would give you almost 3 inches if they were 1.5 inch aal. I bet it would ride like you welded the axle to the frame. Probably a real dumb idea. spend some money on a leaf pack if you need that kind of height. Remove the overload spring if you are dumb enough to stack aals. Beter yet tell your friend to flip his over load spring that will give him some more lift.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I put the 12 pack on the rear of mine and love it, bit he was lust trying to avoid putting a block in the rear and did not want to spend $600.00 for a new leaf pack. When I get home I will show him this post and talk him out of that.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Eliot said:
turn your overload upside-down.....never thought about that! haha, I wonder if that would actually do anything.
Oh, it's been done :rolleyes: If you never put any weight in the bed it's a way to get about 3" of lift. put any weight in there and the rest of the leaf pk snaps off, LOL ...it ain't pretty.

if you want to go with 2 AALs make sure they are different lengths with the longer one on top.

but, be aware that this will make for an extremely stiff ride.

a cheaper way to go is to get a set of donor OE leafpks and 'build' new pks using the extra leaves. just cut them to the needed sizes. Atwinda has a full writeup on this on his site.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
hytenor
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing