TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that have power inverters I have a couple of questions. Where did you install the inverter? How was it hooked up? I'm thinking about installing an inverter in my 00 tacoma. Thanks for your input. Also any pics would be great.

·
Registered
301 Posts
kauaihunta said:
For those of you that have power inverters I have a couple of questions. Where did you install the inverter? How was it hooked up? I'm thinking about installing an inverter in my 00 tacoma. Thanks for your input. Also any pics would be great.
I just bought a portable one from Costco that plugs into the cig. lighter. How much power are you looking for?

·
Registered
272 Posts
kauaihunta said:
u can either plug it into your cig lighter plug, or hardwire it to the battery

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I got a Coleman 400watt for $25. I mounted it on the back seat ledge by screwing a peice of sheet metal to the ledge and then double stick tape from the inverter to the sheet metal. I want a bigger inverter (1500watts) but will need to get an auxilliary battery. So, I'll get the battery b4 the inverter. BTW, I made sure to mount it so the face of the inverter is flush w/ the ledge so I can plug in things that have a transformer on them. Costco has a 1500watt for $85, and Pep Boys has a 1200watt for $70. The inverter has 8ga running to it from a distribution block under the rear passenger seat (that has 2ga running to it from the battery). Eventually, I will put the aux battery to the power block & put a isolator in at the alternator. So much stuff to do! Another idea, instead of 1 12v deep cycle battery, 2 6v deep cycles in parallel so you don't get the "dueling battery" issue like you would if you had 2 12v deep cycles.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
mgyver1 said:
...instead of 1 12v deep cycle battery, 2 6v deep cycles in parallel so you don't get the "dueling battery" issue like you would if you had 2 12v deep cycles.
You mean 2 6v in series. Will only get you the benefit if the 6v batteries have 2x the amp-hour capacities of the 12v batteries, or 2x the CCA current - depending on what you are needing. Also does not buy you any redundancy, if one of the 6v's dies, you are out of luck.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I mounted a Jazz 400 inverter to the back of the center console...I just replaced the case screws on the inverter housing with longer screws and drilled holes thru the console and screwed them all together to mount it...the power wire was run under the center console and shift column and can be plugger into any of the power outlets!
its enough to power my laptop and charge the cell phone...and the unit doesn't run hot and quit like I've seen with other inverters!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Yeah in series, sorry. Although when you have two 12v together they are constantly going at each other with which one has more power, hence why you need an isolator (also to charge your starting battery 1st so you won't kill that one). With 2 6v in series, they won't drain each other down becasue they'd be working as one battery, verses 2 12v's would be fighting each other unless you had another isolator between them. Am I wrong??

·
Re-Member 9/11
292 Posts
If you join 2, 6 volts in series (to make 12 volts) and one cell goes bad, you will loose voltage (2.11 volts per cell) and your inverter will no longer work (most of them have a low voltage shut down). If you join two separate 12 volt batteries in parrallel and you lose one cell you will loose amperage but not voltage and your inverter will still work (just not as long). I work in the RV business where both of these applications are used extensively. By far and away the 2-12 volt scenario is the most popular, cost effective and easiest to understand and maintain. You must use the same size and amp hour rating batteries as well as the same age batteries. The "fighting each other" will occur when two 12 volt batteries of unequal size or amp hour rating are joined in parallel. The batteries will then charge and discharge at unequal times based on their capabilities.
There are advantages both ways, and you have to decide which will work better for you. Most 2-6 volt users in the RV world do so to take advantage of available space and the increased amperage (to run things longer between recharging).
Bill

1 - 11 of 11 Posts