TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have a shim/angled block and or a carrier bearing drop and you still have a vibration. What the hell is causing the vibration. It makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
If you have a shim/angled block and or a carrier bearing drop and you still have a vibration. What the hell is causing the vibration. It makes no sense to me.
Year, Model, Lift???

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2007 Prerunner Double cab with 1.5 inch blocks. I have not yet put in the carrier bearing drop, but the people at wheelers told me that it may not cure the problem.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
2007 Prerunner Double cab with 1.5 inch blocks. I have not yet put in the carrier bearing drop, but the people at wheelers told me that it may not cure the problem.
Soft rubber in the DS support bearing. I fixed mine by getting a one piece DS fabbed. The trans support is pretty soft also. Women love the vibes coming through the seat cushions:rolleyes:

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SO if you get a 1 piece drive shaft, does that eliminate the carrier bearing?
What are the downsides of a 1 piece shaft?
Why are the benefits of a 2 piece shaft?
How much should you spend on a 1 piece shaft?
I know dozens of other people on here fixed the problem by doing either shims, carrier bearing drops, or a combo of the 2, what would make one truck be cured and another still suffer from vibration?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a 1.5 inch angled fabtech steel block in the rear with OEM leafs. I believe the angle of the block is 1.5 to 2.0 degrees. It vibrated though with my deavers as well. My old truck which was an 06' DC taco prerunner as well had deavers and they were actually smoother the the OEM springs, WTF?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I have a 1.5 inch angled fabtech steel block in the rear with OEM leafs. I believe the angle of the block is 1.5 to 2.0 degrees. It vibrated though with my deavers as well. My old truck which was an 06' DC taco prerunner as well had deavers and they were actually smoother the the OEM springs, WTF?
I think that if you read all of the posts regarding this vibe issue, you will find that most peeps still have a small amount of vibe on the 05-07 trucks with the shims and carrier bearing drop. I just put the dakars on mine and gained another 2.0 inches of lift and got back some of my vibes. I have a small vibe when I take off, but no harmonics at other speeds. This was a freeking science project for me to fix the last go around. Now I have to play with it some more.:saw: :welder:

·
Registered
892 Posts
What size shims are you running?

Shims come in different sizes....and you may need to get a larger one.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just put on Dakars and installed the carrier bearing shims and I have
vibs at some low speeds and a cyclical hum at 70mph , if you turn on radio
lots of things go away. Im going to keep the u-joints well lubed because
they are now being used more than normal. The vibes im speaking of are very
minimal.
2006 taco access cab 4x4 with wimpy offroad pkg and towing.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am not using shims, I am using Fabtech angled steel blocks that are approx. 1.5-2.0 degrees. I have yet to install the carrier bearing drop because I am waiting for it in the mail. I have noticed by reading the threads that a lot of people are able to minimize the vibe, but unable to eliminate it. To me that is unnacceptable. There has to be a way to totally eliminate it. I have never had a truck in my life that was as finicky as these.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Dude, you are talking to mr. science project here. If I can get it to go away, I will. Shit like this drives me CRAZY!! I haven't looked into modding the angles on my rear shaft since the dakar install, because I have been down recovering from surgery. I'll keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
36 Posts
This is probably the 10th "shim" thread I've read. I have a 2007 DC with 884 coils/top spacer and Alcan AAL. No diff. drop kits or shims installed.

My vibes are coming at highway speeds. I can look over and see the passenger seat vibrating. I had the tires rebalanced, and it improved somewhat, but it's starting to hack me off a little. The truck ran great for the first few weeks after the lift but now the vibes are starting.

I've found no definitive answer on what size shims to use, or even how to install the damn things. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Jeep, start with a .375 thick carrier drop. That is the bearing that supports the center section of the back DS. You can get it from Wheeler's offroad. I would start by installing a 2 degree shim in the back axle. It is tapered and goes between the axle pad and the spring with the fat side facing the rear of the truck. This will make the vibe very minimal, or at least tolerable. This whole job should take you approximately 1 hour in your driveway. PM me if you need any more help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts