TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to know if the ABS can be turned off.Im not a fan of ABS and am getting tired of it coming on this winter.Im sure i can stop better with out it.Right know its like stoping a train.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
uh u want to trade brake systems then? cause im pretty sure u wont be able to stop quicker. ive been in two wrecks where people have pulled out in front of me where if i had abs i may have been able to avoid it. but instead i just slide 15 yards with no control...
theres a reason why abs is on every car now, and im pretty sure its not on there to increase your stopping distance...

·
Registered
533 Posts
gregers05 said:
uh u want to trade brake systems then? cause im pretty sure u wont be able to stop quicker. ive been in two wrecks where people have pulled out in front of me where if i had abs i may have been able to avoid it. but instead i just slide 15 yards with no control...
theres a reason why abs is on every car now, and im pretty sure its not on there to increase your stopping distance...
A good driver will out-brake this ABS system with ease. Only a driver who panics or lacks the skills will stop better. You haven't spent much time on ice or dirt to have made that statement. A truck stops better sideways sometimes and on dirt you need to lock up a little to create a wedge of soil in front of the tire.

·
Registered
95 Posts
i beileve that there is a fuse that goes only to the abs system, and if you take it out, you can "turn off" the ABS. Also, Peterson's off road magazine had an tech article that gave you a switch that controls that abs. it pretty much did the same thing. if you wanted a switch, here is a verry simple diagram, its basically what they did in the article.

abs switch

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
as far as the abs systems go, yes it will not let the wheels lock up, however it does increase stopping distance..... the point of it, is if you can control the vehicle a little bit better you wont need to stop all the way or come to a screeching halt but should be able to correct and save and drive away.....

·
Registered
717 Posts
hook up a switch using the fuse, that way you can turn it off or on when you want to. that is what i was going to do, but i found out that when you turn on the locker ABS is automatically turned off.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Mapleleaftaco said:
I like to know if the ABS can be turned off.Im not a fan of ABS and am getting tired of it coming on this winter.Im sure i can stop better with out it.Right know its like stoping a train.

If you are tired of ABS coming on SLOW DOWN! ABS does increase your stopping distance but ONLY when you OVER brake as you are doing constantly. If you do not OVER brake you will be able to stop faster. The ABS is working because you are slamming on your brakes when in an environment with little or no traction.

007 said:
You haven't spent much time on ice or dirt to have made that statement. A truck stops better sideways sometimes and on dirt you need to lock up a little to create a wedge of soil in front of the tire.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

I guess that you don't know what you are talking about either. All vehicles have the same contact patch with the ground going foward or traveling sideways right before you catch and flip it. If you want to end up in the ditch on your top listen to this guy. And if you think that you are "that good" that you won't lock up your brakes when some numb nuts pulls out in front of you, I want some of what you are smokin.

Do your self a favor and learn how to control your vehicles before disabling a SAFETY system, meanwhile I am going to go out and cut out my seat belts because they are annoying.

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
007 said:
A good driver will out-brake this ABS system with ease. Only a driver who panics or lacks the skills will stop better. You haven't spent much time on ice or dirt to have made that statement. A truck stops better sideways sometimes and on dirt you need to lock up a little to create a wedge of soil in front of the tire.
I have my problems with the ABS too, but I think your comments need a bit more qualifying statements to balance them better - IMO.

In an emergency stop on plain pavement, best stopping distance is achieved by braking to the point where the wheels are about to lock but dont. If the wheels don't lock, the ABS system does not kick in, and does not affect braking at all. A "good driver" will not notice the ABS being there - as long as the BPV is adjusted correctly.

In an uneven traction situation on pavement, if one wheel locks then the ABS will kick in to get that one wheel turning, but your "good driver" will lose all the sensitivity he needs to maintain threshold braking, due to all the roughness of feel the ABS creates.

On hard ice, if all 4 wheels are on ice you're pretty much hosed in any situation where the ABS will kick in. If 2 are on ice and 2 have traction, the ABS will probably keep the truck straight and may allow you to keep 2 wheels on pavement. Though I freely admit that someone with more ice driving experience may say different, mine is kinda limited. In snow I will defer to someone else.

Sometimes a truck stops better sideways! - You can still make it go sideways with ABS if thats what you choose. Theres still plenty if ways to break the back end free deliberately.

On dirt, there are a few situations like soft sand where those wedges help out, but most conditions they don't. The Tacoma ABS still has the wheels locked for about every yard in two, so some wedging will still occur.

The uneven traction on pavement situation is the one where the ABS pisses me off.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
not2XS said:
I have my problems with the ABS too, but I think your comments need a bit more qualifying statements to balance them better - IMO.

In an emergency stop on plain pavement, best stopping distance is achieved by braking to the point where the wheels are about to lock but dont. If the wheels don't lock, the ABS system does not kick in, and does not affect braking at all. A "good driver" will not notice the ABS being there - as long as the BPV is adjusted correctly.

In an uneven traction situation on pavement, if one wheel locks then the ABS will kick in to get that one wheel turning, but your "good driver" will lose all the sensitivity he needs to maintain threshold braking, due to all the roughness of feel the ABS creates.

On hard ice, if all 4 wheels are on ice you're pretty much hosed in any situation where the ABS will kick in. If 2 are on ice and 2 have traction, the ABS will probably keep the truck straight and may allow you to keep 2 wheels on pavement. Though I freely admit that someone with more ice driving experience may say different, mine is kinda limited. In snow I will defer to someone else.

Sometimes a truck stops better sideways! - You can still make it go sideways with ABS if thats what you choose. Theres still plenty if ways to break the back end free deliberately.

On dirt, there are a few situations like soft sand where those wedges help out, but most conditions they don't. The Tacoma ABS still has the wheels locked for about every yard in two, so some wedging will still occur.

The uneven traction on pavement situation is the one where the ABS pisses me off.
X2X2

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im going to try pulling the fuse.Should i worry about my brakes not working at all.

in my opinion i think ABS is for people that panic.I prefer to drive by feel,I know when the wheels have locked-up,and what to do when it happens.Having driven with and without ABS,I feel like its a distraction when i comes on.
Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
533 Posts
NOT2SX, Thanks for clarifying Well said. I get too pissed off and impatient when people say ABS will always outperform non-ABS.

Tatunka, there are custom tuned adjustable ABS systems on some race cars that do work well. I've seen a nice ABS system on a Factory WRX rally car. It had to be retuned for each course depending on surface type and it was turned off for ice and snow sections. This is the most advanced ABS system I know of and it still can't perform well in some situations.

I've raced bikes and cars on and off road, I have been through two racing schools. I don't like the Tacoma ABS system. I have a Tacoma with it, and one without it. I can honestly say that my threshhold braking will out perform the ABS in most situations. It can't in others, And no I've never flipped a vehicle and yes you can safely stop at an angle or sideways faster than going forward sometimes, its L vs. O, which shape has more of an edge to bite into something soft? and what has more of a contact patch, the front of your tire l_l or the side of your tire (_)? There is a reason MOST race cars do not use ABS. All I want is a selector to choose which one I want. And yes you can get a vehicle sideways with ABS, but you can do it better without it.

Tantunka, try driving your abs equiped vehicle backwards down a steep icey hill, or forwards for that matter and see if the locking up helps you in any way.

I can see that ABS is safer for my 16 year old sister in about every situation, but my 22 year old girlfriend already prefers the non abs truck on ice. Just like an automatic is better on ice than a manual for a begginer, but an experienced driver has more control with a manual because you have better sensitivity and the ability to disengage power or brake more preciesly with the rear.

So just because some need assistance with braking, and never see its limits don't assume that everyone does.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
NorCalTRD said:
I found out that when you turn on the locker ABS is automatically turned off.
I would see about wiring a switch into that, it probally either grounds the circuit out, or powers it down.. .a wiring schematic would tell you that... you will probally get the abs light, but oh well..

·
Registered
546 Posts
ah64id said:
I would see about wiring a switch into that, it probally either grounds the circuit out, or powers it down.. .a wiring schematic would tell you that... you will probally get the abs light, but oh well..
I wired one into my abs ('04). The red wire in the front of the master cylinder/abs module did the trick. I put a switch on the dash, the on position is the normal position, off is for offroad. Look up a modification on yotatech called the 'andymod' and you'll get tons of links and pictures for the switch. Works perfectly. The abs is off for the duration of that drive cycle, though. Basically, when you want it back on, you have to cycle the truck off then back on when you've put the switch back in the 'on' position. It just removes the ground from the abs system, disabling it's functions and giving you 'wheelability'.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
15 Participants
boylem002
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing