TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say you are cruising along through the snow. You go to turn a corner, and you need to turn a little quicker. So, you reach down and pull the parking brake to bring the back end around. My guess is that the ABS system is not going to like this very much.

For the most part, I think having ABS is a good thing. But sometimes, it will be getting in the way of more "creative" turning techniques. What wire do I put a switch in so I can turn the ABS off? It is a 2004 Pre-Runner with the TRD package (rear locker).

·
Registered
264 Posts
JMacs2004 said:
Say you are cruising along through the snow. You go to turn a corner, and you need to turn a little quicker. So, you reach down and pull the parking brake to bring the back end around. My guess is that the ABS system is not going to like this very much.
I don't see where ABS will get in the way of doing this. The computer will cut braking pressure to the wheels that are slipping, but you have a control of the rear shoes independent of braking pressure. ABS might make some noise if the pedal is depressed but that is normal and won't stop you from doing what you want to do.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Waaa hooo! Now all I need is some snow to go play in. Can't believe that is almost the end of the year, and we haven't seen any snow. Just ain't right.

·
Banned
1,521 Posts
Anytime I have pulled the e brake ABS has never kicked in.

If you really want to disable ABS you could always disconnect the ABS sensors.. Maybe if you have a locker you can figure out what wire and what triggers the ABS to disable.. Maybe hit the locker button without 4lo (if you don't have the grey wire mod) so that the ABS light goes solid without the locker locking... I'm just throwing ideas out; I know disconnecting the ABS sesnors will work, but be sure to tape them up good so no debry gets in the ends.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking some sort of modification to the grey wire mod. I haven't read up on that much (I have the pre-runner, so no 4wd.). There has to be some way to do it.

I don't like the idea of permanently disabling the sensors. Sorry, this is not a wheelin' truck. (Not a lot of wheelin' in Nebraska) But I like this site because I can get a whole lot of good info and the people are cool. The "I am King S**t of the World" attitude doesn't show up.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
ABS is activated with hydraulics..The e-brake is a mechanical device therefore ABS can not come in to play at all...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts