TTORA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My AC stopped blowing cold air a couple of days ago. I wasn't worried because I don't really need it now so I just figured I'd wait a bit to get it into the shop until my Christmas bleeding was over. I noticed a sharp acrid smell comming from the vents today that puzzled me because I have had the AC off. I called the dealershop and they said they see it all the time. The dude said the AC clutch went south and locked up to the AC compressor and the smell was the clutch burning. That seemed to make sense but the kicker is that the estimated cost of repair is $1300. New compressor, clutch and labor. I have an appointment this saturday to have it looked at. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
661 Posts
My A/C compressor, clutch is the original at 311,000 miles. Check under your dash, under the glovebox and there lays the evaporator core and into it there is a connection that sometimes will leak freon. You probably need to replace the O-rings there, have the system evacuated and recharged with the correct oil charge and freon. :2cents:

·
Registered
552 Posts
The people that run this place are good honest folks and they will help anyone they can. It is a salvage yard for Toyota's and they sell the used parts. If you need to replace that AC I would call them and see what they will charge you to send you a used one. Good luck, Mike
http://www.yotayard.com/home.htm

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
$47.50 @ Toyota of San Diego. They checked out the whole shebang and all it needed was more freon. The clutch and the compressor were top notch. Happy days for me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
7wt
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing