TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have had a grinding noise for about 3 weeks now. I thought it was the tensioner from the timing belt or the ps pump. Finally, after letting it sit for 2 days, I noticed a thread on Yotatech and it suggested the AC compressor clutch.

I grabbed a pair of tin snips and went out with the intention to cut the AC belt. After doing so, I tried to turn the AC pulley, worked ok, but didn't sound great. The tensioner on the other hand, DID NOT TURN AT ALL! pieces of metal actually fell out! haha.

I'm minus AC, but finally have a quiet truck again!

To the point: Is this replaceable? Part number? (96 5vze)

even a part name would be good! haha

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
P/N for my truck (98) is 88440-04040
Box has description: "PULLEY ASSY '95"
So, I guess the years are interchangeable. Tacozilla can probably get you a product and shipping price which may be cheaper than you can find locally, depending on the shipping to Canuckville.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks man. Is that an expensive part? if it is, I don't use the AC often anyways, might just not bother replacing it.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Normally dirt and mud causes them to lock up. Mine locked up a few months ago and then my friend's '01 did the exact same thing. I picked up a new one from Shannon at Champion Toyota for something like $30. Came with a new pulley and bearing as well as a new bolt.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Some times you can get lucky and just replace the bearings on the inside. Knock it out with a hammer and a chisel or punch and then go somewhere and get a new bearing. Autozone had them last I checked. To install the new bearing center it on a vise and use a large socket so that you get it in evenly.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Friend of mine tried to go this route but they were never able to get him the right size. The bearing comes out easy and is only held in with a c-clip. I suppose it would be worth a shot if they can match up the bearings.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You could also go to a shop that sells commercial parts, Motion industries carries the bearing that will fit. I just had to go and match the right bearing size.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts