TTORA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a BMW standard 4-pin automotive relay for my Flex-a-Lite fans for over 10 years and lately have had a battery drain at night which I noticed in the morning is likely due to the relay as it is warm to the touch after a cold night.

I tried swapping in a backup (used) relay but it warmed up as well with the engine off. Aside from the battery drain everything runs as it always has, fans turn on/off with the electric thermostat.
I tested the resistance of the ground from the relay and got 0 ohm, but the spade power plugs are noticeably a bit cooked. With engine power the relay gets hot, but not too hot to touch.
All runs fine other than the drain and until now has run perfect for 10 years, but two relays appear to have the same short??? Any thoughts?

Power is direct off the battery of course with an inline fuse.
Thanks!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Back to the drawing board. Battery still dead after pulling fuse, but odd that that relay was warm.

Any comments or suggestions welcomed.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
It the relay coil should be run though an ignition switched source so it doesn't draw current when the truck is not running. You can run the current leads though a fuse to direct to the battery, just be sure that when the relay is deenergized that no current flows in other words the relay should be open when the coil is off.
High paracitic drains accompanied by incomplete recharge can ruin your battery in short order by sulphation so get it taken care of post haste.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts