TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got in a fender bender this evening :banghead: my truck is alright, other than a small break in my fiberglass fender...her santa fe didn't fare well against my bumper. nothing grotesque, but body work isn't cheap.

my question is this:

we did not wait for police, just exchanged info. going to report it to insurance in the morning.

1. will insurance require an accident/police report

2. will insurance report it to the DMV (assuming a report isn't needed)

·
Registered
370 Posts
got in a fender bender this evening :banghead: my truck is alright, other than a small break in my fiberglass fender...her santa fe didn't fare well against my bumper. nothing grotesque, but body work isn't cheap.

my question is this:

we did not wait for police, just exchanged info. going to report it to insurance in the morning.

1. will insurance require an accident/police report

2. will insurance report it to the DMV (assuming a report isn't needed)
1- No, just their information. There were no injuries and only minor damage
2- No, police and courts would notify the DMV of points assessed and since they were not involved, no DMV report

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1- No, just their information. There were no injuries and only minor damage
2- No, police and courts would notify the DMV of points assessed and since they were not involved, no DMV report
beautiful. thank you.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
From my what I have found is when making a claim one of the first few questions is for a case number. I'm sure every insurance company is different tho.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Ive been in the same situation.

The police were pissed once they found out about the accedent and that it wasnt reported when it happened. I almost got a ticket for that, but ended up with a warning.

You may want to contact the police.

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
the counter to what others have said happened to me last winter. I slid into a civic on a wet road and we moved both cars out of the road. no major damage to either. the officer bitched us out for calling them since it was such an insignificant accident and then gave me a court summons which turned into a $300 ticket.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
the counter to what others have said happened to me last winter. I slid into a civic on a wet road and we moved both cars out of the road. no major damage to either. the officer bitched us out for calling them since it was such an insignificant accident and then gave me a court summons which turned into a $300 ticket.
I hear that.

Similiar thing happened to me when I lost control of my '91 truck. I slid into a curb and ended up on an apartment complex lawn and blew out a tire by bending the rim and breaking the bead seal.

Had a bitch of a time putting the spare on.

Then for what ever reason, :dunno: I drove over a green Comcast cable box.

Later that day I called the cops to report it, because the apartment complex manager was all worried about their sprinkler system and I had a feeling that they would rat me out. Then I get called into the station and get a hit and run ticket.

I ended up hiring a lawyer to get it reduced to careless driving.

Long story short, you try to do the right thing, but you still get fucked by the system.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
update:

went to insurance. they are handling it. a police report was not necessary, so i am thankful for that.

no ticket and no report to the DMV, which is great...i drive vehicles for my work.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Long story short, you try to do the right thing, but you still get fucked by the system.
Tell me about it. Latest speeding ticket I got, I held off on paying it by mail because of the good experience I had with my headlight/license ticket in DougCo. Speeding ticket was four points and $167, two points if mailed in. I went to the Arapahoe County courthouse on the prescribed date, and they gave me a plea bargain with THREE points and $150. WTF!!!! Had to pay it, and now I have three points on my license. Fucking bullshit if you ask me.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
The cops find a way to issue a ticket when there's any kind of accident and they show up. It's their $$$$ source.

·
7,735 Posts
Back in Cali, they had a law that said if the damage is over $x, then a report has to be filed. I guess they don't have a law like that here?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Back in Cali, they had a law that said if the damage is over $x, then a report has to be filed. I guess they don't have a law like that here?
There is.

I believe it's $2000 damage, any injuries, or drugs or alcohol involved.

It's been a while since I was in charge of a scene where it came into play though so that damage figure could be off.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
just got the quote back from the other party. $1500 + rental car fees. even if i pay for it myself, my insurance will go up because they know about it....might as well use it i guess.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Yep insurance is a total scam. If I put away what I pay each year in premiums into a savings account with interest by now I could have paid out of pocket from the interest only the few claims I have had from an accident standpoint.

I think insurance companies should be the next industry scrutinized by the media on profit, bonuses, commissions, loopholes, and rape.

Bastards!!:soapbox:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts