TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i looked around and found a few things that talk about leaf vs blocks but it didnt really answer my concern.
im getting the tuff country 5" lift. i already have 2" fabtech lift with a add a leaf.
the tuff country comes with blocks.
what i want to know is can i just get another add a leaf or do i need to remove the extra add a leaf?
almost everyone says blocks are bad, so i would like to not have them if possible.
does anyone know if its better or safe or anything to do a leaf instead of blocks??
i dont know much about lifts so im not sure if im asking the question right.
please help.

thanks.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
you could put a shackle on it. blocks are not the way to go. I have seen pics of them cracked in half and i have personally seen them twist sideways a couple of times. I would stick with the AAL and get a shackle. you cant put another AAL in there and expect twice the lift either

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Add-a-leaf.

I've been running an Alcan AAL for about 3 years now, and I've wheeled it a lot, and it's just now getting to the point where I need to start thinking about replacing it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
new custom leaf pack all the way! deavers or alcan

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
add a leaf is better than blocks, if you need mroe lift get some shackles.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Old Man Emu leaf springs and shackles.

Recommend staying away from blocks.

931 Posts
i looked around and found a few things that talk about leaf vs blocks but it didnt really answer my concern.
im getting the tuff country 5" lift. i already have 2" fabtech lift with a add a leaf.
the tuff country comes with blocks.
what i want to know is can i just get another add a leaf or do i need to remove the extra add a leaf?
almost everyone says blocks are bad, so i would like to not have them if possible.
does anyone know if its better or safe or anything to do a leaf instead of blocks??
i dont know much about lifts so im not sure if im asking the question right.
please help.

thanks.
What are you going to use the truck for?

If its just for street / looks then blocks are fine.

If you use it for off-road you should look into another option. Keep in mind that as bad as blocks are, quite a few people do use them and they work. As I recall Mike Ross from the board had blocks for quite a long time, even after he did his SAS.

Once you have decided that blocks are not for you, the take it one step further: Do you use the truck for hauling or just off-road?

When I did mine I had custom springs made, their not as expensive as you think. Because I only use the truck for off-road I took it to the truck scales and got the exact weight and had them make the springs specifically for my truck. This allows me to have softer springs that will flex better off-road.

http://www.parksoffroad.com/tacomamods/lift/lift.htm

·
Registered
854 Posts

If you use it for off-road you should look into another option. Keep in mind that as bad as blocks are, quite a few people do use them and they work. As I recall Mike Ross from the board had blocks for quite a long time, even after he did his SAS.

Once you have decided that blocks are not for you, the take it one step further: Do you use the truck for hauling or just off-road?

When I did mine I had custom springs made, their not as expensive as you think. Because I only use the truck for off-road I took it to the truck scales and got the exact weight and had them make the springs specifically for my truck. This allows me to have softer springs that will flex better off-road.

Pete, didn't you do a custom Alcan Spring install on your rig?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

i mostly use my truck for offroading.

can you tell me about how much the custom springs cost?

·
Registered
854 Posts
i mostly use my truck for offroading.

can you tell me about how much the custom springs cost?
Depends on how many leafs you wants in the pack, the lift height, overloads, etc?

·
Registered
75 Posts
i say you just get a all new leaf pack. it may be a little more expensive but worth the cost. add-a-leafs get caught up on stuff while your out offroading whereas a whole new leafpack will get you the hight you want and will probably give you a little smoother of a ride. i run a deaver leaf pack on my 92 toyota pickup and it gave me over 18 inches of travel. goooood stuff. definitly gunna recommend deavers.

·
Registered
407 Posts
If all you can afford is AALs, I say go with the blocks. I never had any long periods of success with AALs, but the 4" blocks on my old trail truck have never failed.

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.....:rofl:
but everything else has. I've managed to bust everything but the damned blocks, more than once.

Then save up some money for leafpacks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts